multiplayer online quizz game - can python help me?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tlo, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Tlo

    Tlo Guest

    hello,

    i would like to do the following, and as i had never used python in a
    network framework i would like to have opinions on this :

    i would like to provide some kind of network quizz game, each player
    logged in and can then join 'playing rooms', in each rooms they had to
    answers many quizz-like questions, after a game finished each players
    involved in it are ranked from their corrects answers and the time
    they spent to answer. results are saved in a shared database.
    graphical interface can be very simple.

    can python help me? do you know of similar tools/application i could
    use as starting point?

    (from a first idea i was thinking of something much more like java but
    maybe python can do? i discarded php because i suppose it's more on
    the client side)

    thanks

    Tlo, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Yes, Python can help you. Try wxPython or Tkinter for the GUI, and
    look into twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com) for the networking.

    If twisted is too intimidating, the builtin socket module will
    probably also suffice (albeit you'll have to write lots more code).

    Lonnie Princehouse, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Lonnie Princehouse wrote:
    > Yes, Python can help you. Try wxPython or Tkinter for the GUI, and
    > look into twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com) for the networking.
    >
    > If twisted is too intimidating, the builtin socket module will
    > probably also suffice (albeit you'll have to write lots more code).

    Why step down to the bare metal when there are still high level
    communication libraries such as my own Pyro, or xmlrpclib, out there?

    Depending on OP's needs they might suit him just fine.
    If possible, stay away from network programming code...

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Jan 7, 2004
  4. |Thus Spake Tlo On the now historical date of Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:12:42
    -0800|
    > i would like to provide some kind of network quizz game, each player
    > logged in and can then join 'playing rooms', in each rooms they had to
    > answers many quizz-like questions, after a game finished each players
    > involved in it are ranked from their corrects answers and the time they
    > spent to answer. results are saved in a shared database. graphical
    > interface can be very simple.
    >
    > can python help me? do you know of similar tools/application i could use
    > as starting point?

    Yes! Absolutely. Look into the twisted framework:
    http://www.twistedmatrix.com/
    Twisted will give you the tools to easily and legibly write server and
    client software. There are various database modules for python that can
    help you manage quiz questions, scores and answers. Which one you use
    should depend on your level of knowledge and the environment you're in.

    Take a look at PyRO:
    http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
    It probably won't be of any help in this type of application, but it might
    also be a huge benefit to you.

    > (from a first idea i was thinking of something much more like java but
    > maybe python can do? i discarded php because i suppose it's more on the
    > client side)

    Now I'm confused. PHP is a distinctly *server* side technology. It's
    primary purpose is to create web interfaces to database data. What caused
    you to discard it? I ask because you may have discarded the exact tool
    you wanted to use if you want a web interface to your game.

    HTH

    Sam Walters.

    --
    Never forget the halloween documents.
    http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

    Samuel Walters, Jan 7, 2004
  5. That's a good point. Twisted is about as high level as it gets, but
    that comes with a steep learning curve. Pyro would do an excellent
    job, and it's cake to use. In that light, the only reason to use
    socket would be as an educational exercise =)

    Lonnie Princehouse, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Tlo

    Tlo Guest

    Samuel Walters <> wrote in message news:<>...

    thanks to all i will look to twisted. btw do you know of something
    like a chat application developped upon a twisted framework ?

    > |Thus Spake Tlo On the now historical date of Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:12:42
    > -0800|
    > > (from a first idea i was thinking of something much more like java but
    > > maybe python can do? i discarded php because i suppose it's more on the
    > > client side)

    > Now I'm confused. PHP is a distinctly *server* side technology. It's
    > primary purpose is to create web interfaces to database data. What caused
    > you to discard it? I ask because you may have discarded the exact tool
    > you wanted to use if you want a web interface to your game.

    i must be able to precisely measure time between each questions and
    also be able to set up a countdown to the start of a game (with a
    waiting room) and i'm afraid that i need to use too much of 'refresh'
    in php pages.

    Tlo, Jan 8, 2004