Multiple calls to logging.config.fileConfig

Almad

Hi,

our applications can have plugins as subpackages and I'd like to allow
them to use their own logger as well as it's configuration. I thought
that best way will be their own configuration file passed to
fileConfig.

However, I run into problems...

1) It seems that I cannot refer to something from previously loaded
files, i.e. I'd like application config file to specify formatters and
handlers and plugins only referring them.

2) I'm not sure about "appending" loggers; if I specify
[loggers]
keys: web

and then
[loggers]
keys: syncml

Will web not be overwritten?

3) Finally, I run into "root" problem. In second call, if I specify
root logger again:

[loggers]
keys: root,web

(...)

[logger_web]
level: WARNING
qualname: xxx.web
handlers: console

I'll get

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/logging/config.py", line 143, in fileConfig
llist.remove("root")

If I'll set only web as logger, I'll get standard NoSectionFound
exception.

Any idea how to fix this? It seems that I have to write custom parser
merging all files and config logging directly from code, but I'd like
to assure that it's the standard way...

Regards,

Almad

Vinay Sajip

logging.config.fileConfig() does not do incremental configuration - it
replaces the existing configuration with the configuration in the file
passed to fileConfig. While this might not be too useful for your
current needs, the present behaviour is by design...fileConfig is meant
to choose between one of a number of configurations (e.g. development,
test, production) and not for incremental configuration.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip