Multiple "Cascade Delete" rules on 1 table allowed?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cirene, May 12, 2008.

  1. Cirene

    Cirene Guest

    Can you assist me with this database problem?

    I have 4 tables in my db....
    Table1 (key: Table1Id)
    Table2 (key: Table2Id)
    Table3 (key: Table3Id)

    Table 4 has these fields:
    key: Table4Id
    Table1Id (ties it to Table 1)
    Table2Id (ties it to Table 2)
    Table3Id (ties it to Table 3)

    I created these links using VS2008's Database Diagram.

    I would like these 3 FK relationships ALL to be CASCADE DELETE
    Table1.Table1Id --> Table4.Table1Id
    Table2.Table1Id --> Table4.Table2Id
    Table3.Table1Id --> Table4.Table3Id

    When I try to save the database diagram I get an error stating...

    - Unable to create relationship 'FK_....'.
    Introducing FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_....' on table 'Table4' may cause
    cycles or multiple cascade paths. Specify ON DELETE NO ACTION or ON UPDATE
    NO ACTION, or modify other FOREIGN KEY constraints.
    Could not create constraint. See previous errors.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to have multiple CASCADE DELETE
    rules on 1 table (Table4 in this case)?

    Thanks!
    Cirene, May 12, 2008