Multiple DLL references in web application.

Guest

Make 5 Modules in Business Object Layer ( This will make one common dll for
all the modules in Business Object layer)
Make 5 Modules in Data Access Layer ( This will make one common dll for all
the modules in Data Access layer)

After that what i will do is add the reference of Facade layer , Business
Object Layer and Data Access layer in the Web Project. By doing this
actually i am adding the three dll's reference in web project.

CASE 2:

Make 5 Modules in Web Project Layer ( Make module level 5 dll's for web layer)
Make 5 Modules in Facade Layer ( Make module level 5 dll's for facade layer)
Make 5 Modules in Business Object Layer ( Make module level 5 dll's for
Business Object layer)
Make 5 Modules in Data Access Layer ( Make module level 5 dll's for Data
Access layer)

In this case we are creating the module level dll's using the command prompt
script ( csc.exe)

After that what i will do is add the reference of all the 5 modules in the
Facade layer , Business Object Layer and Data Access layer in the Web
Project. By doing this actually i am adding the 15 dll's reference in web
project.

In both the scenario we have tried and tested and its working fine. The best
advantage of using the Case 2 is the maintainability. What i mean to say that
if there is the change in one module in say Business Object Layer then i need
not build all the 5 modules in Business Object layer. What i will be doing is
that i will be compiling the indipendent changed module and migrating that
change in the production.

But what my main concern is that will there be any performance issues when i
will be going for the Case 2 instead of Case 1. Could you please help me in
finalizing the approach.

Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

the main tradeoffs are the one's you make.

there is a minor preformance cost at appload with the multiple dll's,
(mutiliple file copies to shadow dir, fixups, etc), but this cost is low
compared to the actual page compile, and jit.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)