multiple dropdown lists = multiple data readers???

Andrew Kidd

Hi,

I've have a form for the user to fill in which comprises of 5 date ranges,
each made up of a "FROM" & "TO" date, which is built from a "[Month]"
dropdownlist & a "[Day]" dropdownlist, as follows:

Period 1 = FROM [Month][day] TO [Month][Day]
Period 2 = FROM [Month][day] TO [Month][Day]
Period 3 = FROM [Month][day] TO [Month][Day]
Period 4 = FROM [Month][day] TO [Month][Day]
Period 5 = FROM [Month][day] TO [Month][Day]

Ordinarily I use the following code to bind up a dropdownlist:

If IsPostBack = False Then
Dim objCn As New Odbc.OdbcConnection("DSN=IRS")
Dim objCmd As New Odbc.OdbcCommand("SELECT DISTINCT
tblHoliday.Country FROM tblHoliday", objCn)
Dim objDr As Odbc.OdbcDataReader

objCn.Open()
objDr = objCmd.ExecuteReader

Me.cboCountries.DataSource = objDr

Me.cboCountries.DataTextField = "Country"
Me.cboCountries.DataValueField = "Country"
Me.cboCountries.DataBind()
objDr.Close()
objCn.Close()

End If

I've got the months and days each in a separate lookup table, but I'm faced
with the prospect of having to run the above routine 10 times each for both
the days and months in order to populate the combos.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Rick Spiewak

Read the data once, into an array or arraylist, and bind all the
dropdownlists to that.

Andrew Kidd

Cheers Rick!