Multiple installations of IE: version number problem

delerious

I followed that article that described how to install multiple versions of IE,
so now I have 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 installed on my computer.

Looking at the userAgent strings in each browser reports the correct version
number. However, if I go to Help > About, then 6.0 is reported even if I am
using 5.0 or 5.5.

That wasn't a big deal, until I tried using conditional comments. I wanted to
have some HTML code only for IE 5.0, so I tried using the following code:

<!--[if IE 5.0]>
<stuff>stuff</stuff>
<![endif]-->

That didn't work in IE 5.0. Then I changed the first line to:

<!--[if IE 6.0]>

and it worked in IE 5.0. So it appears that IE 5.0 is not using the userAgent
string to obtain the version number, but it is using whatever the Help > About
is using.

I guess this would work if I only had IE 5.0 installed on my computer. But
then I wouldn't be able to easily develop for multiple versions of IE. Looks
like this solution to get multiple versions of IE on the same computer has
some quirks of its own.

Spartanicus

I guess this would work if I only had IE 5.0 installed on my computer.

The method only works if IE6 is installed IIRC.
But
then I wouldn't be able to easily develop for multiple versions of IE. Looks
like this solution to get multiple versions of IE on the same computer has
some quirks of its own.

The about version number and the conditional comment issue have been
known from the start.

delerious

The method only works if IE6 is installed IIRC.

Yes, I have IE 6 installed, as well as IE 5.0 and IE 5.5.

The about version number and the conditional comment issue have been
known from the start.

Do you know if there is a workaround for this problem?