Multiple installations of IE: version number problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by delerious@no.spam.com, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I followed that article that described how to install multiple versions of IE,
    so now I have 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 installed on my computer.

    Looking at the userAgent strings in each browser reports the correct version
    number. However, if I go to Help > About, then 6.0 is reported even if I am
    using 5.0 or 5.5.

    That wasn't a big deal, until I tried using conditional comments. I wanted to
    have some HTML code only for IE 5.0, so I tried using the following code:

    <!--[if IE 5.0]>
    <stuff>stuff</stuff>
    <![endif]-->

    That didn't work in IE 5.0. Then I changed the first line to:

    <!--[if IE 6.0]>

    and it worked in IE 5.0. So it appears that IE 5.0 is not using the userAgent
    string to obtain the version number, but it is using whatever the Help > About
    is using.

    I guess this would work if I only had IE 5.0 installed on my computer. But
    then I wouldn't be able to easily develop for multiple versions of IE. Looks
    like this solution to get multiple versions of IE on the same computer has
    some quirks of its own.

    , Dec 24, 2003

  2. Spartanicus Guest

    wrote:

    >I guess this would work if I only had IE 5.0 installed on my computer.

    The method only works if IE6 is installed IIRC.

    >But
    >then I wouldn't be able to easily develop for multiple versions of IE. Looks
    >like this solution to get multiple versions of IE on the same computer has
    >some quirks of its own.

    The about version number and the conditional comment issue have been
    known from the start.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 24, 2003

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:52:37 +0000, Spartanicus <> wrote:
    >>I guess this would work if I only had IE 5.0 installed on my computer.

    >The method only works if IE6 is installed IIRC.

    Yes, I have IE 6 installed, as well as IE 5.0 and IE 5.5.

    >>But
    >>then I wouldn't be able to easily develop for multiple versions of IE. Looks
    >>like this solution to get multiple versions of IE on the same computer has
    >>some quirks of its own.

    >The about version number and the conditional comment issue have been
    >known from the start.

    Do you know if there is a workaround for this problem?

    , Dec 24, 2003
  4. Spartanicus Guest

    wrote:

    >>The about version number and the conditional comment issue have been
    >>known from the start.

    >Do you know if there is a workaround for this problem?

    There isn't (yet).

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 24, 2003