multiple javaw.exe running as a service

Roedy Green

I got a message from Vista asking me to close apps to free up memory.
I had a look and discovered no Java apps running, but 10 copies of
Javaw.exe running as a service. I wonder if anyone knows what could
cause this.

Karl Uppiano

Roedy Green said:
I got a message from Vista asking me to close apps to free up memory.
I had a look and discovered no Java apps running, but 10 copies of
Javaw.exe running as a service. I wonder if anyone knows what could
cause this.

It is quite easy to make Java run as a Windows service, but I have to wonder
what kind of service needs 10 JVMs running in parallel.

With Windows Vista UAC, it seems rather unlikely that the service(s) could
have installed themselves (as in malware). Have you installed any services
lately?

Roedy Green

With Windows Vista UAC, it seems rather unlikely that the service(s) could
have installed themselves (as in malware). Have you installed any services
lately?
I have not installed anything recently. I will do a virus scan.