    same with the second player in a popup window, but I had the same problem.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    Geradeaus, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Geradeaus wrote:

    > anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
    > http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

    Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
    (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
    alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Geradeaus

    Geradeaus Guest

    "David Dorward" <> schreef in bericht
    > Geradeaus wrote:
    >
    >> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
    >> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

    > Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
    > (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
    > alone player (at least not without digging through the source).
    >
    > --

    I added a param url, maybe this would help you? Beside that, opening it in a
    standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my question...
    Geradeaus, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Geradeaus wrote:

    >>> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
    >>> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

    >> Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
    >> (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
    >> alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

    > I added a param url,

    That isn't a plain old link.

    > maybe this would help you?

    No.

    > Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
    > question...

    It is why it doesn't work on my system.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Geradeaus

    >>> Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
    >>> (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a
    >>> stand
    >>> alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

    >> I added a param url,

    > That isn't a plain old link.

    now it is...

    >> maybe this would help you?

    > No.
    >
    >> Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
    >> question...

    > It is why it doesn't work on my system.
    >
    > --

    hopefully you can take a look now
    Geradeaus, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Geradeaus

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Geradeaus wrote:

    > "David Dorward" <> schreef in bericht

    > >> I added a param url,

    > > That isn't a plain old link.

    > now it is...
    >
    > >> maybe this would help you?

    > > No.
    > >
    > >> Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
    > >> question...

    > > It is why it doesn't work on my system.
    > >
    > > --

    > hopefully you can take a look now

    Yeah.but it still made my web browser crap itself!!!!!!!!!!
    If you really want to include video in a web page. Don't imbed it in to
    the html. It's to much for most web browsers to handle unless you
    compress the hell out of what you want to appear on the page. You also
    need a seperate link for dial-up users such as myself.
    But, I think even a Broadband conection would choke with some video
    content.
    Also my PC must have got confused, I run Win Media 10 on this system
    and your page launched to versions of the same application!. So place
    the content as a link and leave at that.
    Chaddy2222, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Geradeaus

    Geradeaus Guest

    "Chaddy2222" <> schreef in bericht

    > Geradeaus wrote:
    >
    >> "David Dorward" <> schreef in bericht

    >> > That isn't a plain old link.

    >> now it is...

    >> > No.

    >> > It is why it doesn't work on my system.
    >> >
    >> > --

    >> hopefully you can take a look now

    > Yeah.but it still made my web browser crap itself!!!!!!!!!!
    > If you really want to include video in a web page. Don't imbed it in to
    > the html. It's to much for most web browsers to handle unless you
    > compress the hell out of what you want to appear on the page. You also
    > need a seperate link for dial-up users such as myself.
    > But, I think even a Broadband conection would choke with some video
    > content.
    > Also my PC must have got confused, I run Win Media 10 on this system
    > and your page launched to versions of the same application!. So place
    > the content as a link and leave at that.
    > --
    > Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

    My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem :eek:) But placing links is
    not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
    crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...
    Geradeaus, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Geradeaus

    JDS Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:28:45 +0100, Geradeaus wrote:

    > My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem :eek:) But placing links is
    > not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
    > crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...

    Why is "placing links" not an option?

    There are quite a few ways to embed video into a web page, with varying
    degrees of "goodness". Personally, I like the embed-video-in-a-MM-Flash
    method, if only for the fact that MM Flash player 7 is available on most
    major web browsing platforms. But really, I prefer to just link directly
    to the video file and let the viewer's computer do what it is set up to do.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Geradeaus

    Geradeaus Guest

    "JDS" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:28:45 +0100, Geradeaus wrote:
    >
    >> My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem :eek:) But placing links
    >> is
    >> not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
    >> crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...

    > Why is "placing links" not an option?
    >
    > There are quite a few ways to embed video into a web page, with varying
    > degrees of "goodness". Personally, I like the embed-video-in-a-MM-Flash
    > method, if only for the fact that MM Flash player 7 is available on most
    > major web browsing platforms. But really, I prefer to just link directly
    > to the video file and let the viewer's computer do what it is set up to
    > do.
    >
    > --

    Why not? Because customer is king... unfortunately (again). I know flash
    could be an option, but that's not my question.

    An option is to use embedded media players, I chose this option, but
    apparently you can not use 2 mediaplayres at the same time?
    Geradeaus, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Geradeaus

    Guest

    Geradeaus wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
    > http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html
    >
    > The movies seem to interfere with eachother, sometimes when I want the first
    > movie to stop, the second one stops, and after a while the browser (Firefox
    > or Internet explorer) crashes.
    >
    > Is it not possible to have multiple players in one html page? I tried the
    > same with the second player in a popup window, but I had the same problem.

    Your page works just fine for me and both videos start automatically
    nearly at once. However I am using SBC/Yahoo Pro DSL which has a
    measured download rate of 2.59 Mbps, and I get at least 2.4 when
    downloading from my server.

    It is likely that others had problems because you have autostarted both
    players, and their maximum available download speed can't handle all of
    the bandwidth. The first thing you need to do is insert a parameter
    into the player object to allow starting only on clicking the player
    play buttons. Then you need to decide on your audience and supply
    players at different download rates for at least medium DSL speed, and
    dialup speed, if you wish. Video on dialup leaves very much to be
    desired, even with a very good connection. See my media pages that can
    be reached at http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php . If you will
    check the scripted player link, you will find over 15 players embedded
    on the same page, but none of them start automatically, so there is no
    problem. My example is for audio, but the same principle applies for
    video. You just have to increase the height of the player enough to
    display the image as well as the control bar.Although I am using xhtml
    served with the correct mime type application/xhtml+xml with a php
    include to convert the page to html 4.01 strict for browsers such as
    IE6 that can not handle this mime type, you can write the code in just
    html 4.01 strict and avoid the php include, if you wish.
    , Nov 29, 2005

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Geradeaus

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Geradeaus wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
    > > http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html
    > >
    > > The movies seem to interfere with eachother, sometimes when I want the first
    > > movie to stop, the second one stops, and after a while the browser (Firefox
    > > or Internet explorer) crashes.
    > >
    > > Is it not possible to have multiple players in one html page? I tried the
    > > same with the second player in a popup window, but I had the same problem.

    > Your page works just fine for me and both videos start automatically
    > nearly at once. However I am using SBC/Yahoo Pro DSL which has a
    > measured download rate of 2.59 Mbps, and I get at least 2.4 when
    > downloading from my server.
    >
    > It is likely that others had problems because you have autostarted both
    > players, and their maximum available download speed can't handle all of
    > the bandwidth. The first thing you need to do is insert a parameter
    > into the player object to allow starting only on clicking the player
    > play buttons. Then you need to decide on your audience and supply
    > players at different download rates for at least medium DSL speed, and
    > dialup speed, if you wish. Video on dialup leaves very much to be
    > desired, even with a very good connection. See my media pages that can
    > be reached at http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php . If you will
    > check the scripted player link, you will find over 15 players embedded
    > on the same page, but none of them start automatically, so there is no
    > problem. My example is for audio, but the same principle applies for
    > video. You just have to increase the height of the player enough to
    > display the image as well as the control bar.Although I am using xhtml
    > served with the correct mime type application/xhtml+xml with a php
    > include to convert the page to html 4.01 strict for browsers such as
    > IE6 that can not handle this mime type, you can write the code in just
    > html 4.01 strict and avoid the php include, if you wish.

    I had time to examine your page a bit more. With my high speed
    connection, it is working on several recent browsers. However, as I
    mentioned earlier, autostarting both players creates a problem for
    those with slower connections. In addition, the sounds from both videos
    are mixed and playing at the same time because both videos are
    autostarted. I do not see any need to autostart either video, although
    you could autostart only one.

    Although the player objects are working, they use code soup -
    unfortunately, very common even in large companies who could afford to
    hire those who can write modern, valid code. They use an ActiveX object
    with an embed within this object for browsers that can not handle
    ActiveX. One embed alone throws 20 errors at the W3C validator. All of
    this might be justified if it were the only way. However, as shown on
    my media pages and elsewhere, it is quite possible to write a player
    object that works on most browsers without using either ActiveX or
    embed, and this can be made to completely validate even at xhtml 1.1.

    Your page also needs to show what type of character encoding is used.

    If you decide to try to give a stream that will work well on dialup as
    well as one suitable for broadband, you may find that converting your
    video to a wmv at about 30 kbps works best, but as I mentioned before,
    video quality will not be very good on dialup. A Real video rm file
    also would work about as well, although fewer people have the Real
    player installed than have the WMP.
    , Nov 30, 2005
  13. Geradeaus

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Geradeaus <>
    pronounced to alt.html:

    > Why not? Because customer is king...

    He's paying you because you know how to create web sites and he doesn't.
    Explain to him why what he wants is bad.
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

    > An option is to use embedded media players,

    It's a very bad option, but yes - it's an option.

    > I chose this option, but
    > apparently you can not use 2 mediaplayres at the same time?

    Why would you want to? Surely your visitor can only watch one at a time?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Geradeaus

    Geradeaus Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> schreef in bericht
    > In our last episode, Geradeaus <>
    > pronounced to alt.html:
    >
    >> Why not? Because customer is king...

    > He's paying you because you know how to create web sites and he doesn't.
    > Explain to him why what he wants is bad.
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

    Believe me, I tried...

    >> An option is to use embedded media players,

    > It's a very bad option, but yes - it's an option.
    >
    >> I chose this option, but
    >> apparently you can not use 2 mediaplayres at the same time?

    > Why would you want to? Surely your visitor can only watch one at a time?

    Wel, the second movieclip has to be played in a popup, so it is possible
    visitors kan watch both at the same time. (if they don't stop the first one
    before clicking the popup link).

    Geradeaus, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Geradeaus

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Geradeaus <>
    pronounced to alt.html:

    > Wel, the second movieclip has to be played in a popup,

    Yikes! It gets worse. You do realise that means that for many people it
    won't be played at all?

    > so it is possible
    > visitors kan watch both at the same time.

    I'm talking about the visitor physically watching, and being able to
    concentrate on, both at once - nothing to do with the browser.

    > (if they don't stop the first one
    > before clicking the popup link).

    And if they don't have popups blocked.

    Mark Parnell, Nov 30, 2005