Multiple message resources with Struts modules

msa

Hi,

I'm working with Struts 1.1. I have a small application that consists
of 4 modules. Each module has its own message resource file, and I
have that working correctly.

Now I'd like to add another message resource file that contains common
messages that all 4 modules can use. I know that I can have multiple
message resources in a module's config.xml file so long as I use the
key attribute. That is, I know that the syntax is

<message-resources parameter="com.myWebSite.CommonResources"
key="common"/> (under the default message resource line for that
module)

and I'm pretty sure that I can reference these messages using lines
like

<bean:message bundle="common" key="addButtonLabel"/>

in my JSPs for that module, but I've tried putting the resource file
in the parent directory above my module directories and that doesn't
work. I've tried putting it under the directory of this one module
and tried using it just in that module, and that doesn't work.

Where does this file need to go?

Have I configured it incorrectly?

Am I referencing the common message resource correctly?

I just get the error "Cannot find message resources under key common".

Any help you can offer on this problem (multiple message resource
files, using a common message resource file among modules) would be
super appreciated!

Thanks!