multiple non-administrators publishing to an iis server with VS.NE

AGoodSpellr

Is it possible to use Visual Studio to create ASP.NET projects on a web
server, without giving the various people that will be doing this full
administrator privliges? Each user will need to have independent folders
that they can modify (ie, one user cannot change the contents of another
user's folder). Access to the server must be strictly limited for each user
(preferably to just adding/removing ASP.NET projects).

Having a similar problem with Frontpage.

This is to be used for training.

AGoodSpellr

I should mention that the server is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
running IIS 6.

AGoodSpellr

I should mention that it is running on Windows Server 2004 Enterprise Edition
with IIS 6.

AGoodSpellr

I should mention that it is running on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
with IIS 6.

Jeff Cochran

Is it possible to use Visual Studio to create ASP.NET projects on a web
server, without giving the various people that will be doing this full
administrator privliges? Each user will need to have independent folders
that they can modify (ie, one user cannot change the contents of another
user's folder). Access to the server must be strictly limited for each user
(preferably to just adding/removing ASP.NET projects).

Having a similar problem with Frontpage.

Set the proper NTFS permissions, and don't let FrontPage set
permissions to anything.

Jeff

AGoodSpellr

It's one site with multiple projects. I have mit1.blah.com where I want t
host many web site developers all doing ASP.NET. (May also have a group
doing Frontpage.) I mentioned the conditions on their access above.

I've tried to create one user on the computer with full privileges, share
the wwwroot (all permissions to all users), create a folder in wwwroot, share
the folder (all permissions to all users), and create a virtual directory in
the Default Web Site to the folder (all permissions to the user making the
project). I can map the shared folder from another computer, and access
files in it via http://mit1.blah.com/username/test.htm, but every time I try
to make an ASP.NET project on the server it coughs with the "The UNC share
.... does not exist or you do not have access." error message.

I've also tried making an accessible folder that has the same name as the
project name, with no success.

Obviously missing something... any ideas?

AGoodSpellr

Just noticed that Visual Studio (and hence the VS_DEVELOPER group) was never
set up on the server. Not sure if it will make a difference, but will try
installing that.

AGoodSpellr

Alright, I've made some progress but have hit a brick wall. I have done the
following on the server:
-shared inetpub\wwwroot
-set up a user account for each user "s1user" that is a memeber of VS
Developers and Debugger Users
-created a folder "s1folder" in inetpub\wwwroot
-given s1folder full control file share permissions to s1user
-web shared s1folder with read/write/modify access

I would like to be able to use Visual Studio.NET to create a project for
s1user in s1folder - without letting s1user create a project in s2folder.

I can map the drive from the user's computer without problems using the
s1user login, but I am still getting a "UNC share ... does not exist or you
do not have access" error when making a Web Application project on the server
in Visual Studio. I'm guessing this is because Visual Studio is attempting
to map the folder as the user on the client computer rather than as s1user
(we're on different workgroups). Is there a way to force Visual Studio to
let you use a different login when it's making the project? This would be
our ideal solution.

I can't find any info on how Visual Studio makes its connections and/or what
it requires to be set up, so it's been a lot of trial and error. There's
lots on how to do it on a local machine, but I can't find anything on how to
do it client/server. If anyone has any links I'd appreciate it.

Is it necessary to use a domain server instead? This is not our ideal
solution, for other reasons, but would it work?

Thanks for any help.

AGoodSpellr

I should also mention that I included s1user in the NTFS permissions with
full access on the s1folder as well as wwwroot.