Multiple Pop-up Windows

Scott

On the same page, I have a pop-up window that's activated when you hit the Send Button:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function newscreen() {

window.open("don-com.html","main","width=470,height=240,history=yes,resizable=no,status=no,scrollbars=no,
menubar=no")
// window.open("index.html", "_self")
}
// -->
</SCRIPT>

On Send button: <INPUT TYPE=submit value="Send It" onClick="newscreen()">

Elsewhere on the page is a pop-up window activated when clicking on a link:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
function openWindow(url, name) {
popupWin = window.open(url, name,
"width=550,height=675,history=yes,resizable=yes,status=no,scrollbars=yes, menubar=no");
}
</SCRIPT>

On the link: <A HREF="javascript:eek:penWindow('sound.html','Win' )">

Both scripts works fine together.

Now I want to add a third pop-up window to be activated by clicking on a different link. If I
use the
second script above and point it to a different url (carol.htm), I am stuck using width=550
and height=675,
which is to large for this window.

Is there a script that will give this third pop-up windows it's own dimensions?

Thanks!
Scott

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I have a pop-up window
Elsewhere on the page is a pop-up window
Both scripts works fine together.

No popups here. For me, that's what I call working fine, so I guess
you're right.
Now I want to add a third pop-up window

Just in case you've actually got a couple of visitors left? Why bother
having a site in the first place if you're that determined to drive
visitors away?

Scott

Mark,

I apologize for not making myself clear. They're not pop-ups in the normal sense
of the word. They don't pop up automatically. You have to click on a link to bring
it up. I just wanted a smaller window to pop up with the requested information,
rather than switching to a whole new page. Why would this drive people away?

BTW, the page is: www.uslink.net/~golden/don1.html

Sott

Richard

Scott said:
On the same page, I have a pop-up window that's activated when you hit
the Send Button:

My browser shoots popups dead on sight.
So put on as many as you want.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I apologize for not making myself clear.

No problem, just try again. ;-)
They're not pop-ups in the normal sense
of the word.

They don't pop up?
They don't pop up automatically. You have to click on a link to bring
it up.

But what if I don't want it to pop up? What if I want it to open in the
same window?
I just wanted a smaller window to pop up with the requested information,
rather than switching to a whole new page.

But what about what your visitor wants? How do you know *they* want it
to pop up? Or are you going to be the only one using the site?
Why would this drive people away?

Because they don't want popups. Why do you think popup blockers are so
popular?

Scott

Mark,

Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who click
on a link on purpose--for the information. Not ads--information. It just
happens to be a smaller window, which makes it easier to view the info
without switching to a new page. What's the difference whether you
see the requested information on a small window or a large one?

Scott

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Scott said:
Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up
automatically.

Depends on your software.
If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who
click on a link on purpose--for the information. Not
ads--information. It just happens to be a smaller window, which
makes it easier to view the info without switching to a new page.
What's the difference whether you see the requested information on
a small window or a large one?

I just tried your form, using Firefox 1.0. Clicking submit took me to
a new page in the same window, with the following raw code:

<head>
<title>Thank You for your thoughtful comments!</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-type" CONTENT="text/html">

...and that was it. Oh, some server tried to set a cookie on the way. I
refused it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
I just tried your form, using Firefox 1.0. Clicking submit took me to a
new page in the same window, with the following raw code:

<head>
<title>Thank You for your thoughtful comments!</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-type" CONTENT="text/html">

Should have said the URL of this raw code was apparently not of your site:
http://www.response-o-matic.com/cgi-bin/rom.pl

Made me chuckle, thinking of the old veg-o-matic. <g>

Scott

Beuaregard,

Oh, that's another issue. I use Response-O-Matic as a free form processor
in lieu of my own CGI. It used to be fairly straightforward, but just recently,
it stopped working properly with Netscape. It's good to know that Firefox
doesn't display it properly either. However, it does work properly with IE and
Opera. It's supposed to switch to a full page with a "thank you" at the top and
then a link to go back to the forms page.

Anyway, did a small window pop up saying: "Thank you. Your comments
have been received"? That's the one I added and which works with a java script.

I want to add a javascript that will pop up a small window for a soon-to-be added
link....similar to the "Classic Don Lawson Sound Bites" link. I want to bring up
a smaller window, so one doesn't have to switch to another page.

As for the Send It button, I've become unenthusiastic about Response-O-Matic,
since their ads are now more obtrusive.

I've been researching CGI scripts for awhile now, and I think I understand how
to implement them. However, I'm not sure my ISP still supports them (my site
is being hosted on uslink.net, which was bought out by tds.net, and all sites have
been switched over to tds servers.

Short of setting up my own CGI scripts, is there another way to get forms
processed?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott

Beauregard,

I just check with tds.net, and it looks like they do provide CGI for the
standard FormMail script, so that looks like the way to go as far as
submitting forms.

Scott

Karl Core

Scott said:
Mark,

Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

Thanks to the release of Windows XP's SP2, your new window can now very
easily get caught up by the built in popup blocker.
I notice tons of sites "not working properly" now and I just laugh my ass
off.

P.S. - Stop top-posting

Neal

Scott:
Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who click
on a link on purpose--for the information.

Well, all I can say is some users won't get that info. It's the way their
browser/popup blocker works, and you can't control that.

You can blame them, but that doesn't solve the problem. No more popups
will solve your problem.

Why do you think you need a popup anyway? I can't think of a reason one
has to use them.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I did not try the form with IE said:
Anyway, did a small window pop up saying: "Thank you. Your comments
have been received"? That's the one I added and which works with
a java script.

Opera: with JavaScript off, same as Firefox. With JavaScript on, a
small window with your 'thank you' message pops up over a frameset
page with that same raw code at the top, and a large *commercial ad*
in the majority of the page.
http://c.qckjmp.com/az/ch.php (with some ad numbers parameters)
I want to add a javascript that will pop up a small window for a
soon-to-be added link....similar to the "Classic Don Lawson Sound
Bites" link. I want to bring up a smaller window, so one doesn't
have to switch to another page.

Please get out of the mindset of opening new windows. So far I have
seen zero need at your site for them. Even the Sound Bite page should
be just another regular page.
Short of setting up my own CGI scripts, is there another way to get
forms processed?

Depends on what is available at your web host, and your skills.

Please don't top-post.

Toby Inkster

Scott said:
Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

Really? I naively assumed that pop-up blockers are for blocking pop-ups.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Toby Inkster scribbled in the mud:
Really? I naively assumed that pop-up blockers are for blocking pop-ups.
Just don't block my Pop-Tarts.

Noozer

Yup.. and anything else that pops up.

A website gets ONE window. If it needs more then I don't use it.

Noozer

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Noozer scribbled in the mud:

God, I hope not. I have enough trouble gettin it up already.

LOL!

That's why I use Firefox... I was getting tired of the "Bobbit" popup
stopper. Much to extreme for me!

Jan Faerber

<stolen thoughts> Some people don't like it. They like to have a new window
in a size they are used to and if it is not that way they might leave your
page.</stolen>