Multiple Pop-up Windows

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Scott, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    On the same page, I have a pop-up window that's activated when you hit the Send Button:

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function newscreen() {

    window.open("don-com.html","main","width=470,height=240,history=yes,resizable=no,status=no,scrollbars=no,
    menubar=no")
    // window.open("index.html", "_self")
    }
    // -->
    </SCRIPT>

    On Send button: <INPUT TYPE=submit value="Send It" onClick="newscreen()">

    Elsewhere on the page is a pop-up window activated when clicking on a link:

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    function openWindow(url, name) {
    popupWin = window.open(url, name,
    "width=550,height=675,history=yes,resizable=yes,status=no,scrollbars=yes, menubar=no");
    }
    </SCRIPT>

    On the link: <A HREF="javascript:eek:penWindow('sound.html','Win' )">

    Both scripts works fine together.

    Now I want to add a third pop-up window to be activated by clicking on a different link. If I
    use the
    second script above and point it to a different url (carol.htm), I am stuck using width=550
    and height=675,
    which is to large for this window.

    Is there a script that will give this third pop-up windows it's own dimensions?

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    P.S. The page in question is:

    www.uslink.net/~golden/don1.html

    Scott

    Scott, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Scott

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Scott <> said:

    > I have a pop-up window

    <snip>
    > Elsewhere on the page is a pop-up window

    <snip>
    > Both scripts works fine together.

    No popups here. For me, that's what I call working fine, so I guess
    you're right.

    > Now I want to add a third pop-up window

    Just in case you've actually got a couple of visitors left? Why bother
    having a site in the first place if you're that determined to drive
    visitors away?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Mark,

    I apologize for not making myself clear. They're not pop-ups in the normal sense
    of the word. They don't pop up automatically. You have to click on a link to bring
    it up. I just wanted a smaller window to pop up with the requested information,
    rather than switching to a whole new page. Why would this drive people away?

    BTW, the page is: www.uslink.net/~golden/don1.html

    Sott

    Scott, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Scott

    Richard Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > On the same page, I have a pop-up window that's activated when you hit
    > the Send Button:

    My browser shoots popups dead on sight.
    So put on as many as you want.
    Richard, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Scott

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Scott <> said:

    > I apologize for not making myself clear.

    No problem, just try again. ;-)

    > They're not pop-ups in the normal sense
    > of the word.

    They don't pop up?

    > They don't pop up automatically. You have to click on a link to bring
    > it up.

    But what if I don't want it to pop up? What if I want it to open in the
    same window?

    > I just wanted a smaller window to pop up with the requested information,
    > rather than switching to a whole new page.

    But what about what your visitor wants? How do you know *they* want it
    to pop up? Or are you going to be the only one using the site?

    > Why would this drive people away?

    Because they don't want popups. Why do you think popup blockers are so
    popular?

    Mark Parnell, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Mark,

    Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

    If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who click
    on a link on purpose--for the information. Not ads--information. It just
    happens to be a smaller window, which makes it easier to view the info
    without switching to a new page. What's the difference whether you
    see the requested information on a small window or a large one?

    Scott

    Scott, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Scott wrote:

    > Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up
    > automatically.

    Depends on your software.

    > If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who
    > click on a link on purpose--for the information. Not
    > ads--information. It just happens to be a smaller window, which
    > makes it easier to view the info without switching to a new page.
    > What's the difference whether you see the requested information on
    > a small window or a large one?

    I just tried your form, using Firefox 1.0. Clicking submit took me to
    a new page in the same window, with the following raw code:

    <head>
    <title>Thank You for your thoughtful comments!</title>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-type" CONTENT="text/html">

    ...and that was it. Oh, some server tried to set a cookie on the way. I
    refused it.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    > I just tried your form, using Firefox 1.0. Clicking submit took me to a
    > new page in the same window, with the following raw code:

    > <head>
    > <title>Thank You for your thoughtful comments!</title>
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-type" CONTENT="text/html">

    Should have said the URL of this raw code was apparently not of your site:
    http://www.response-o-matic.com/cgi-bin/rom.pl

    Made me chuckle, thinking of the old veg-o-matic. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Beuaregard,

    Oh, that's another issue. I use Response-O-Matic as a free form processor
    in lieu of my own CGI. It used to be fairly straightforward, but just recently,
    it stopped working properly with Netscape. It's good to know that Firefox
    doesn't display it properly either. However, it does work properly with IE and
    Opera. It's supposed to switch to a full page with a "thank you" at the top and
    then a link to go back to the forms page.

    Anyway, did a small window pop up saying: "Thank you. Your comments
    have been received"? That's the one I added and which works with a java script.

    I want to add a javascript that will pop up a small window for a soon-to-be added
    link....similar to the "Classic Don Lawson Sound Bites" link. I want to bring up
    a smaller window, so one doesn't have to switch to another page.

    As for the Send It button, I've become unenthusiastic about Response-O-Matic,
    since their ads are now more obtrusive.

    I've been researching CGI scripts for awhile now, and I think I understand how
    to implement them. However, I'm not sure my ISP still supports them (my site
    is being hosted on uslink.net, which was bought out by tds.net, and all sites have
    been switched over to tds servers.

    Short of setting up my own CGI scripts, is there another way to get forms
    processed?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Beauregard,

    I just check with tds.net, and it looks like they do provide CGI for the
    standard FormMail script, so that looks like the way to go as far as
    submitting forms.

    Scott, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Scott

    Karl Core Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Mark,
    >
    > Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

    Thanks to the release of Windows XP's SP2, your new window can now very
    easily get caught up by the built in popup blocker.
    I notice tons of sites "not working properly" now and I just laugh my ass
    off.

    P.S. - Stop top-posting

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    Karl Core, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Scott

    Neal Guest

    Scott:

    > Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.
    >
    > If you check my site, you'll see that my pop-ups are for people who click
    > on a link on purpose--for the information.

    Well, all I can say is some users won't get that info. It's the way their
    browser/popup blocker works, and you can't control that.

    You can blame them, but that doesn't solve the problem. No more popups
    will solve your problem.

    Why do you think you need a popup anyway? I can't think of a reason one
    has to use them.
    Neal, Dec 8, 2004
  14. Scott wrote:

    > Oh, that's another issue. I use Response-O-Matic as a free form
    > processor in lieu of my own CGI. It used to be fairly
    > straightforward, but just recently, it stopped working properly
    > with Netscape. It's good to know that Firefox doesn't display it
    > properly either. However, it does work properly with IE and Opera.
    > It's supposed to switch to a full page with a "thank you" at the
    > top and then a link to go back to the forms page.

    I did not try the form with IE <spit>. Just now tried Opera.

    > Anyway, did a small window pop up saying: "Thank you. Your comments
    > have been received"? That's the one I added and which works with
    > a java script.

    Opera: with JavaScript off, same as Firefox. With JavaScript on, a
    small window with your 'thank you' message pops up over a frameset
    page with that same raw code at the top, and a large *commercial ad*
    in the majority of the page.
    http://c.qckjmp.com/az/ch.php (with some ad numbers parameters)

    > I want to add a javascript that will pop up a small window for a
    > soon-to-be added link....similar to the "Classic Don Lawson Sound
    > Bites" link. I want to bring up a smaller window, so one doesn't
    > have to switch to another page.

    Please get out of the mindset of opening new windows. So far I have
    seen zero need at your site for them. Even the Sound Bite page should
    be just another regular page.

    > Short of setting up my own CGI scripts, is there another way to get
    > forms processed?

    Depends on what is available at your web host, and your skills.

    Please don't top-post.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Scott

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

    Really? I naively assumed that pop-up blockers are for blocking pop-ups.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Dec 8, 2004
  16. Scott

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Toby Inkster scribbled in the mud:

    > Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

    > Really? I naively assumed that pop-up blockers are for blocking pop-ups.

    Just don't block my Pop-Tarts.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!
    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  17. Scott

    Noozer Guest

    > Scott wrote:
    >
    > > Excuse me, but pop-up blockers are for ads that pop up automatically.

    Yup.. and anything else that pops up.

    A website gets ONE window. If it needs more then I don't use it.
    Noozer, Dec 8, 2004
  18. Scott

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Noozer scribbled in the mud:

    > Yup.. and anything else that pops up.

    God, I hope not. I have enough trouble gettin it up already.

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!
    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  19. Scott

    Noozer Guest

    "Duende" <> wrote in message
    > While sitting in a puddle Noozer scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > Yup.. and anything else that pops up.

    > God, I hope not. I have enough trouble gettin it up already.

    LOL!

    That's why I use Firefox... I was getting tired of the "Bobbit" popup
    stopper. Much to extreme for me!
    Noozer, Dec 8, 2004
  20. Scott

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Scott wrote:

    >> > Why would this drive people away?

    <stolen thoughts> Some people don't like it. They like to have a new window
    in a size they are used to and if it is not that way they might leave your
    page.</stolen>

    --
    Jan

    http://linux.janfaerber.com