Multiple Pop-up Windows

Jan Faerber

Michael said:
The language attribute is deprecated: use type.

<script type="text/javascript">
var popup;
function openWindow(link, x, y) {
popup = window.open(
link.href,
link.target,
'history,resizable,scrollbars,width=' + x + ',height=' + y
);
}
</script>

<!-- ... -->

onclick="openWindow(this, 300, 300); return false;">

Mike

Yeah - the syntax.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
It's easier for *me* to top post too. But, it's easier for others to
follow if I don't. Life's not always about *me*.

Maybe I'm the only one, but forced with a choice between the evils of top
posting and quoting *everything*, I'll take top posting every time.

Scrolling though 100 lines of text to see a one-line comment just isn't worth
it.

To me, the ideal is bottom posting to text that's been snipped to what's
relevant to the new post.

Scott

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/

Maybe I'm the only one, but forced with a choice between the evils of top
posting and quoting *everything*, I'll take top posting every time.

Scrolling though 100 lines of text to see a one-line comment just isn't worth
it.

To me, the ideal is bottom posting to text that's been snipped to what's
relevant to the new post.

Pete,

That's precisely my point. If it's easier for "me" to read a top post, chances
are
it's easier for many others to read a top post as well. I wouldn't call that
selfish,
I'd call that accomodating.

Scott

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Scott said:
That's precisely my point. If it's easier for "me" to read a top post, chances
are
it's easier for many others to read a top post as well. I wouldn't call that
selfish,
I'd call that accomodating.

(your line lengths are screwed up again.)

If a group is primarily ordinary chatting, top-posting might not be so
bad. In these technical groups, where frequently several points are
addressed, it becomes ever more difficult to associate your top-posted
answers with the individual points, if one has to continually scroll
down, then back up, to see what your answer is about.

Easier to top-post? How hard is it to press the PageDown key?

And then there is the old saw: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Welcome to Rome. :)

Scott

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
(your line lengths are screwed up again.)

If a group is primarily ordinary chatting, top-posting might not be so
bad. In these technical groups, where frequently several points are
addressed, it becomes ever more difficult to associate your top-posted
answers with the individual points, if one has to continually scroll
down, then back up, to see what your answer is about.

Easier to top-post? How hard is it to press the PageDown key?

And then there is the old saw: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Welcome to Rome. :)

Beauregard,

I pressed the Page Down key, but nothing happened. I can push the down
arrow key, but it takes several repititions.

Scott

dan

(Pete Cresswell) said:
Maybe I'm the only one, but forced with a choice between the evils of top
posting and quoting *everything*, I'll take top posting every time.

These evils tend to go together; top-posters usually are also
fullquoters, including ever-lengthening tails of trailing garbage
beneath their writing.
Some more discussion:
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/

Scott

Jan said:
A popup with online banking saying: "Always use the logout button before you
leave!" is not a conflict but it doesn't give me a feeling of security.

Jan,

I don't like those either.

Scott

Scott

Michael said:
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:25:48 GMT, Jan Faerber

[snip]
onClick="window.open('http://www.abc.de', 'popup',
'height=300,width=300,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,location=yes');
return false"></a>

Or

onclick="window.open(this.href, this.target,
'height=300,width=300,resizable,scrollbars,location');
return false;">

[Scott:]
Is there a script that will give this third pop-up windows it's own
dimensions?
[snip]

onLoad="window.resizeTo(300,300)">

The resizing methods are another thing that people are blocking. Both
Mozilla and Opera allow you to disallow window movement and sizing in
their preferences.

[snip]

Mike

OK.

Scott

Scott

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
(your line lengths are screwed up again.)

If a group is primarily ordinary chatting, top-posting might not be so
bad. In these technical groups, where frequently several points are
addressed, it becomes ever more difficult to associate your top-posted
answers with the individual points, if one has to continually scroll
down, then back up, to see what your answer is about.

Easier to top-post? How hard is it to press the PageDown key?

And then there is the old saw: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Welcome to Rome. :)

Beauregard,

Well, I can understand that. But, you know, whenever a group of people
get together for a face-to-face conversation, everyone will not follow the
same rules. Some people know how to listen, others don't, some people
interrupt, etc. It's not a perfect world.

In my experience, perfectionsists are very unhappy people, because they
find they cannot control everything to the nth degree.

Sometimes it's better to put up with people's idiosyncrosies....and even
learn to appreciate their differences. Why should we all be clones of each
other?

Scott

rf

Scott wrote:

[purposely untrimmed]
Michael said:
[...]

OK what?

Do you mean 'Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail' OK?

Are you OKing the bit about browsers disallowing window movement etc.

Are you OKing the anchor element up there?

It's bloody hard to tell.

What about a little bit of trimming. You know, get rid of all the stuff
(including sigs) that don't pertain to your two letter reply. What you have
here is almost as bad as top posting :)

rf

Duende reticently replied:
While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

<grin>
I't just like to take this opportunity to clarify your previous statement Mr
D. You mean scribbling in the mud, OK?

B b b but there are *girls* in that mud :-(
</grin>

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
B b b but there are *girls* in that mud :-(

Look around you & you will see Your puddle has yellow water, no girls. :(

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
<grin>
I't just like to take this opportunity to clarify your previous
statement Mr D. You mean scribbling in the mud, OK?

By the time I see it you have finished scribbling, thus it has been
scribbled. OK?