multiple Python 2.7 Windows installations

Discussion in 'Python' started by Eric Frederich, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I am trying to get an installer built with distutils to recognize
    multiple installations.
    The installer currently finds my installation at C:\Python27
    I have a custom Python27 built myself with Visual Studio sitting
    somewhere else, say C:\MyPython27.

    I looked at PC/bdist_wininst/install.c in the GetPythonVersions
    routine and see that it is searching Software\Python\PythonCore.

    So, I assume I need to get my Python installation listed in the registry.
    I am unfamiliar with the Windows Registry
    I tried to create another 2.7 key but regedit wouldn't let me.
    So, if I can only have one 2.7 key, it would seem that the routine
    GetPythonVersions will only ever get 1 version of 2.7.
    Does this mean that it is unsupported to have more than one Python 2.7
    installation on Windows?

    Again, that GetPythonVersions routine looks pretty alien to me.... so
    I may be wrong.

    Some help please?

    Thanks,
    ~Eric

    Eric Frederich, Apr 19, 2011

  2. > I tried to create another 2.7 key but regedit wouldn't let me.
    > So, if I can only have one 2.7 key, it would seem that the routine
    > GetPythonVersions will only ever get 1 version of 2.7.
    > Does this mean that it is unsupported to have more than one Python 2.7
    > installation on Windows?

    Exactly so - it's unsupported. There are ways around it, but they
    require more familiarity with distutils and Windows internals.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Loewis, Apr 19, 2011