    Ruby?

    --
    James Coglan
    James Coglan, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Craig Demyanovich, Dec 12, 2008

  3. James Coglan

    James Coglan Guest

    2008/12/12 Craig Demyanovich <>

    > Dr. Nic wrote something about this recently.
    >
    > http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/future-proofing-your-ruby-code/
    >
    > Regards,
    > Craig

    Thanks for that. On first running the "multiruby -e 'p 1+1'" command, it
    downloads 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 then starts building them, but hangs when it gets
    to "creating Makefile". Anybody else get this and know how to fix it? I have
    build-essential and ruby1.8-dev installed and the build doesn't report
    errors, it just hangs.
    James Coglan, Dec 12, 2008
  4. James Coglan

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Dec 12, 2008, at 11:14 , James Coglan wrote:

    > 2008/12/12 Craig Demyanovich <>
    >
    >> Dr. Nic wrote something about this recently.
    >>
    >> http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/future-proofing-your-ruby-code/

    > Thanks for that. On first running the "multiruby -e 'p 1+1'"
    > command, it
    > downloads 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 then starts building them, but hangs when
    > it gets
    > to "creating Makefile". Anybody else get this and know how to fix
    > it? I have
    > build-essential and ruby1.8-dev installed and the build doesn't report
    > errors, it just hangs.

    ruby 1.9.0 has a makefile bug that prevents parallel builds from
    working correctly. You can either install one of the latest 1.9
    releases [1], go from trunk, or cd into the build dir and type `make`
    to bypass the bug.

    [1] http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/12/11/future-proofing-your-ruby-code/
    Ryan Davis, Dec 13, 2008
  5. James Coglan

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > Can someone point me to a decent walk-through on install
    > and running tests against several versions of Ruby?

    I wouldn't recommending "my" way of doing it but I compile Ruby
    into versioned directories (from source), i.e. under
    /Programs/Ruby/1.9.0 for instance. A symlink will point to the version
    to use, to switch versions one just adjusts the symlink (and
    "resymlinks" in case one follows something akin to
    http://www.gobolinux.org/ )

    However, I think pretty all Linux distributions do not enjoy this idea
    and instead scatter files into /usr prefix (when it comes from the
    "package manager" of the distribution in question), or /usr/local (if a
    user compiled on his own, though many people use $HOME prefix, and some
    even use /opt which I find extremely peculiar since I saw some
    distributions using pseudo-versioned dirs inside /opt i.e. "/opt/kde3"
    ...)
    Marc Heiler, Dec 14, 2008