Multiple select horizontal and veritical scroll bar

Discussion in 'HTML' started by master44, Sep 29, 2010.

  1. master44

    master44 Guest

    I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    I found a solution using a div to give me a horizontal scoll, however
    I then have to scroll far to the right to use the vertical scroll.

    horizontal;">
    <select multiple="true" name="selectbox" id="selectbox" size="2" >
    <option value="one">One</option>
    <option value="two">Two</option>
    <option value="three">Three</option>
    <option value="four">Four</option>
    <option value="five">Five</option>
    <option value="six">Six</option>
    <option value="seven">Seven</option>
    <option value="eight">ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ</option>
    </select>

    So I want the horizontal scoll and vertical scroll available at the
    same time without having to scroll right to find the vertical scroll.

    How can this be done with the example above?

    Thanks!
    master44, Sep 29, 2010

  2. master44

    rf Guest

    "master44" <> wrote in message
    >I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    > will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    > is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    What a damn nasty thing to do to your viewers.
    rf, Sep 29, 2010

  3. master44

    master44 Guest

    On Sep 28, 6:46 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "master44" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    > > will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    > > is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    > What a damn nasty thing to do to your viewers.

    I generally agree, however I don't have many other options. While 99%
    of the entries fit nicely in the area I have allocated, there are some
    entries that are way outside the area and the select box becomes very
    large and screws up the page display (It is a reporting system,
    selections are on the left 1/3 of the screen and display on the right
    2/3). I started by just trimming down the selections by cutting off
    characters after 32, but users complained that they need to see the
    entire string. As I mentioned most are less than 32 characters, but
    the few that are over average over 100 characters.

    Thanks
    master44, Sep 29, 2010
  4. master44

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    master44 <> wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 6:46 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > > "master44" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    > > > will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    > > > is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    > > What a damn nasty thing to do to your viewers.

    > I generally agree, however I don't have many other options. While 99%
    > of the entries fit nicely in the area I have allocated, there are some
    > entries that are way outside the area and the select box becomes very
    > large and screws up the page display (It is a reporting system,
    > selections are on the left 1/3 of the screen and display on the right
    > 2/3). I started by just trimming down the selections by cutting off
    > characters after 32, but users complained that they need to see the
    > entire string. As I mentioned most are less than 32 characters, but
    > the few that are over average over 100 characters.
    >
    > Thanks

    Is your page is so choco block full that you cannot split things
    up and make room?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 29, 2010
  5. master44

    Peter Guest

    In article <185da570-bea1-450f-8770-2b18c3fa5c42
    @a19g2000yql.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Sep 28, 6:46 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > > "master44" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    > > > will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    > > > is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    > > What a damn nasty thing to do to your viewers.

    > I generally agree, however I don't have many other options. While 99%
    > of the entries fit nicely in the area I have allocated, there are some
    > entries that are way outside the area and the select box becomes very
    > large and screws up the page display (It is a reporting system,
    > selections are on the left 1/3 of the screen and display on the right
    > 2/3). I started by just trimming down the selections by cutting off
    > characters after 32, but users complained that they need to see the
    > entire string. As I mentioned most are less than 32 characters, but
    > the few that are over average over 100 characters.
    >
    > Thanks

    And you can't use a textarea box in those situations to reduce the
    width?

    --
    Pete Ives
    Peter, Sep 29, 2010
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed master44 <> writing
    in news::

    > I have a multiple select box that must fit in a tight space, there
    > will be several hundred entries in the multiple select and some text
    > is wider than the space and I will need to scroll horizontally.

    You need to rethink this. Hundreds of entries in a multiple select is too
    much.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 29, 2010
  7. On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:17:44 +0000, Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > You need to rethink this. Hundreds of entries in a multiple select is
    > too much.

    AMEN!

    Just wish the USPS web site would learn this. When doing international
    shipping, I have to choose the country of origin from a drop down box
    that lists every country that exists. Arrrg.

    Heck, they make me choose the STATE from a drop down instead of just
    typing in the state abbreviation.

    I won't say a drop down is never the solution, but I figure in most cases
    there /has/ to be a better choice.
    Jeremy J Starcher, Sep 29, 2010
  8. master44

    dorayme Guest

    In article <SIJoo.12877$>,
    Jeremy J Starcher <> wrote:
    > ...When doing international
    > shipping, I have to choose the country of origin from a drop down box
    > that lists every country that exists. Arrrg.
    >
    > Heck, they make me choose the STATE from a drop down instead of just
    > typing in the state abbreviation.
    >
    > I won't say a drop down is never the solution, but I figure in most cases
    > there /has/ to be a better choice.

    It is not that the dropdown cannot be part of a solution, but it
    is very bad and annoying if it is one
    drop-down-with-dumb-hundreds.

    One way is to have the typing option as well as a convenient
    dropdown that is organised according to easily understood
    categories that greatly reduce the number of choices. For
    example, having a few drop downs according to areas of the world.

    Or having a small image map of the world that captures a first
    broad choice, this then goes to more manageable lists. There can
    be alphabetical lists that act as first choice to limit lists to
    reasonable length. There can be cascading dropdowns according to
    user choice. All these can be imagined and detailed according to
    the circumstances.

    I suppose author convenience is at the heart of many annoying
    things on the internet.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 29, 2010