Multiple Select Statements in resultset

Joe via DotNetMonster.com

Hi,

I'm trying to use several select statements so that I don't need to call
the function several times. The next Result set always seems to read the
first select statement. I have the following:

Dim queryString As String = "SELECT TOP 1 ([tblPage].[Part]), [tblPage].
[PageNumber] FROM [tblPage] WHERE ([tblPage].[LessonID] = @LessonID) AND
[tblPage].[Part]='Motivate'; SELECT TOP 1 ([tblPage].[Part]), [tblPage].
[PageNumber] FROM [tblPage] WHERE ([tblPage].[LessonID] = @LessonID) AND
[tblPage].[Part]='Present'"

If (dataReader.Read = True) Then
Dim Part = dataReader("Part")
Response.Write("Part is "&Part)
dataReader.NextResult()
Response.Write("Part is "&Part)
End If

So, I always get the first statement where part=motivate. I don't want to
use a Do While because I'll be doing something different with each result
set. I've just simplified it in the above example.

Thanks so much.

Guest

Joe it is hard to see what your trying to do but if your trying to base one
query off another you might try setting up a DataRelation Collection with
multiple DataTable commands in a DataSet instead of building multiple
DataReaders or trying to join multiple tables within a Select Command. It
might be easier for you to handle your Data that way

Mike Douglas

Joe,

Your sample below always would return the part in the first resultset.
After each datareader.NextResult() you would need to do
Part = dataReader("Part")
You probably also need the If (dataReader.Read = True) Then before the
Part = ...

Another alternative might be to UNION your SELCT statement so you just
have one resultset.

I hope that helps.

Mike Douglas

Jim via DotNetMonster.com

Thanks for you help. I ended up using a DataView Object in the Dataset and
that seems to work.