multiple sites help and advice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Read, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Mike Read

    Mike Read Guest

    I am creating a commercial site that will have 2 main components. Both
    being created with ASP.net 2.0

    1. Main site which has public access to all pages, this site contains
    multiple subdirectories one for each topic each with a number of tutorials
    on the subject. This portion of the site should required very little
    maintenance work since it is dynamically rendered based on database entries.
    2. Member only portion where members can upload information to be used in
    the main site. This site I imagine with be updated regularly with new
    features.

    I thought what I would do is create 2 separate websites, so that I would not
    have to update the dll's of the main site is everytime I enhance the members
    section. Then upload the appropriate dll's and folders to a single main
    website directory, sharing a config file for the settings for the 2
    applications. I imagine adding more components to this site like resource
    directories and others in the future. Each component having its own
    purpose.

    I do not have the luxury of creating subdomains since this is hosted with a
    third party hosting company and that is not a feature.

    Is this possible or does any one have a idea of a better way to accomplish
    this.

    Thank you,
    Mike
    Mike Read, Mar 27, 2006

  2. On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:38:40 -0500, Mike Read wrote:

    > I do not have the luxury of creating subdomains since this is hosted with a
    > third party hosting company and that is not a feature.

    You don't have to create a subdomain. You can use a sub-folder
    application. Any folder in your web sit can be its own applciation, with
    its own dll's and it's own "app domain". You just have to have your hoster
    create an ASP application in a specific folder.
    Erik Funkenbusch, Mar 27, 2006