multiple sites help and advice

Mike Read

I am creating a commercial site that will have 2 main components. Both
being created with ASP.net 2.0

1. Main site which has public access to all pages, this site contains
multiple subdirectories one for each topic each with a number of tutorials
on the subject. This portion of the site should required very little
maintenance work since it is dynamically rendered based on database entries.
2. Member only portion where members can upload information to be used in
the main site. This site I imagine with be updated regularly with new
features.

I thought what I would do is create 2 separate websites, so that I would not
have to update the dll's of the main site is everytime I enhance the members
section. Then upload the appropriate dll's and folders to a single main
website directory, sharing a config file for the settings for the 2
applications. I imagine adding more components to this site like resource
directories and others in the future. Each component having its own
purpose.

I do not have the luxury of creating subdomains since this is hosted with a
third party hosting company and that is not a feature.

Is this possible or does any one have a idea of a better way to accomplish
this.

Thank you,
Mike

Erik Funkenbusch

I do not have the luxury of creating subdomains since this is hosted with a
third party hosting company and that is not a feature.

You don't have to create a subdomain. You can use a sub-folder
application. Any folder in your web sit can be its own applciation, with
its own dll's and it's own "app domain". You just have to have your hoster
create an ASP application in a specific folder.