Multiple sites on same server - authentication problem

Richard Marr

Hi, hope you can help

I have multiple asp.net sites running on the same physical server,
each with its own sql server database. There is a root folder on the
server called 'websites', and under that one folder for each site, eg
siteA, siteB etc. Each site folder contains its own web.config file at
the root level.

I am using forms authentication, however the problem is that no matter
which site a user attempts to log in to they are presented with the
*first* site's login page, so a login to siteB gets presented with the
login page for siteA.

I've a feeling I must have missed something stupid, but it's eluding
me for the moment. Any ideas anyone?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Richard,

is every "site" marked as an application in IIS?

Richard Marr

I think I may have sorted this now, thanks - it seems the problem was
the SSL certificate; at the moment there is only one SSL certificate
on the server, and that is configured for siteA. When I attempt to log
in to siteB that by definition calls for a secure page, and so
redirects to the default page associated with the SSL certificate. The
solution, therefore, is to get a new SSL certificate for each site. If
I temporarily take out the https for each of the pages concerned it
works as expected.