Multiple threads with RMI

Dave Rudolf

Hey all,

First off, is there some sort of newsgroup for RMI support? If not, then
perhaps you folks could answer this question:

Suppose that I have a "server" that has an object registered with the RMI
Registry. I then have multiple "clients" which get proxies to the server's
registered object. Suppose each client calls a very time consuming method
via RMI. When I debug these method calls on the server, I see that each call
is queued and done sequentially on the AWT-EventQueue thread. Is there some
way to get it to handle each call on a separate thread?

Dave.

EJP

No, you will only see that if you have programmed your server that way
yourself, perhaps by using TimerTasks. The RMI Spec, §3.2, says 'since
remote method invocation on the same remote object may execute
concurrently, a remote object implementation needs to make sure its
implementation is thread-safe'.

EJP