multiple versions of java plug-in support

Discussion in 'Java' started by bud, May 4, 2005.

  1. bud

    bud Guest

    I am trying to force Netscape 7.2 to only use the plug-in version
    1.4.2_07. Is it possible to have all the plugins available to be used
    in different browser sessions, WITHOUT having to go into the control
    panel for each session?

    Each time I install a plugins - the new plugin takes control away from
    the previous plugin. This means if a user has two applications which
    use different plugins, the user must switch the plugin being used by
    going through the control panel.

    Also ...

    When I go into the plugin control panel for the version needed and
    designate a specific plugin for Netscape, it deselects the Netscape
    option in the other plugin control panels.
    Applying the 142_07 plugin deselects the 1.5.0 browser settings for
    netscape 7.2 If the user must install another jre, the control of the
    one we require is given to the new plugin.

    I have tried with and without the .dll files in the Netscape/plugins
    directory.

    Also needs to be accomplished without the "Java Web Start" utility.

    I know the user can change the plugin settings after the install, but
    this is unclean. Not very user friendly from a software companies
    perspective. Is there a way to progamatically make this change so the
    user does not have to?

    bud, May 4, 2005