    Ruby 1.8.7 and some newer ones requiring 1.9.1.

    How can I run both versions at the same time?

    Thanks in advance!

    Heinz Strunk, Nov 29, 2010

  2. Heinz Strunk

    Walton Hoops Guest

    On 11/28/2010 10:03 PM, Heinz Strunk wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I'm wondering if it's possible to run multiple Ruby versions at the same
    > time in production mode. I got some older Rails apps that need to run in
    > Ruby 1.8.7 and some newer ones requiring 1.9.1.
    >
    > How can I run both versions at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    That depends largely on your setup. In the general case, yes, look into
    rvm (Ruby Version Manager) for managing that. If your talking via
    passenger, then the answer is no(ish), the same passenger process cannot
    run multiple versions of Ruby. Without further details on your setup,
    that's really all the help I can give.

    Walton Hoops, Nov 29, 2010

  3. Heinz Strunk

    Heinz Strunk Guest

    Well, I'm using mongrel_cluster and apache to run the applications. Do
    you need anything else to know?

    I know and use rvm but I didn't know you can use it with servers?

    Heinz Strunk, Nov 29, 2010
  4. Try the Ruby Versio Manager:

    http://rvm.beginrescueend.com

    Markus Schirp, Nov 29, 2010
  5. Heinz Strunk wrote in post #964603:
    > Well, I'm using mongrel_cluster and apache to run the applications. Do
    > you need anything else to know?

    If you're using Apache as a proxy to the mongrels, that should be fine.
    You can start different mongrels under different versions of ruby.

    > I know and use rvm but I didn't know you can use it with servers?

    Ruby doesn't know whether it's running on a "server" or a "workstation"
    :)

    Brian Candler, Nov 29, 2010
  6. Heinz Strunk

    Heinz Strunk Guest