Multiple Web Projects in a single solution doesn't convert to 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Herbst, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. David Herbst

    David Herbst Guest

    I have a solution that contains one main web project, ten sub web
    projects and a controls library project all in a single web
    application. I followed the steps in the following MS KB:
    How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team
    Development
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307467

    e.g.
    http://localhost/application1 (references project sharedcontrols,
    module1, module2)
    http://localhost/application1/module1 (references project
    sharedcontrols)
    http://localhost/application1/module2 (references project
    sharedcontrols)
    http://localhost/application1/sharedcontrols

    Now I am trying to convert this solution to VS 2005 and I am getting
    build errors in all of my sub web project pages that reference the user
    controls in the control library project. The error states that: "The
    virtual path '/application1/module1/UserControl1.ascx' maps to another
    application, which is not allowed." As the knowledge base article
    instructs, in IIS I have removed the applications from the sub web
    projects directories so they are merely subdirectories of the main web
    project.

    Has anyone else who followed the knowledge base article tried to
    convert their solution to 2005 has this problem and how did you resolve
    it?

    BTW the main reason I have the sub web projects was to modularize the
    web pages into eleven logical assemblies instead of having a single
    monolithic assembly that needed to be deployed when ever a single web
    page code behind changed. This is helpful since there are multiple
    people working on this project. Is there a better way to accomplish
    the same thing in 2005? For security reasons, I don't want to deploy
    the web page code-behind source to the server (and let ASP.NET create
    dynamic assemblies) or have a separate assembly for each web page.
    Ideally I would like to end up with the same 11 web page assemblies as
    before.

    Thanks,
    David

    David Herbst, Jan 18, 2006