    So when people navigate to www.mydomain.com they see that site.
    What if I want to how more then one web site? Is there a way of doing that?

    Thanks

    Mark Goldin, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Mark Goldin

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Mark Goldin" wrote ...

    > What if I want to how more then one web site? Is there a way of doing

    that?

    Hello Mark,

    I'm making some assumptions here, ie, you're using IIS etc, however if you
    have the professional version of Windows Server you can setup multiple
    Websites within IIS, all you need to do then, if you have just the one IP
    address is to use the Host Headers, add the domain name (ie,
    www.your_domain.com) for each website, so although all sites come through
    the one IP, they'll get seperated out once the header is picked up.

    If you have the Home edition then I believe you can only have the one
    Website within IIS, in this scenario all requests would come through the one
    IP address to your machine, but then you'd have no real way of splitting
    them out to different directories (as far as I know), you could have
    multiple domain names pointing to the same actual website obviously...

    I hope this helps, for reference you might try
    news:microsoft.public.inetserver.iis in the future which would be more
    appropriate for this type of post.

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Mark Goldin

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:02:10 GMT, "Rob Meade"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Goldin" wrote ...
    >
    >> What if I want to how more then one web site? Is there a way of doing

    >that?
    >
    >Hello Mark,
    >
    >I'm making some assumptions here, ie, you're using IIS etc, however if you
    >have the professional version of Windows Server you can setup multiple
    >Websites within IIS, all you need to do then, if you have just the one IP
    >address is to use the Host Headers, add the domain name (ie,
    >www.your_domain.com) for each website, so although all sites come through
    >the one IP, they'll get seperated out once the header is picked up.
    >
    >If you have the Home edition then I believe you can only have the one
    >Website within IIS, in this scenario all requests would come through the one
    >IP address to your machine, but then you'd have no real way of splitting
    >them out to different directories (as far as I know), you could have
    >multiple domain names pointing to the same actual website obviously...
    >
    >I hope this helps, for reference you might try
    >news:microsoft.public.inetserver.iis in the future which would be more
    >appropriate for this type of post.

    Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
    web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
    not have IIS available.

    This question is frequently asked in the IIS group, Google for help or
    ask there.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Mark Goldin

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" wrote...

    > Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
    > web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
    > not have IIS available.

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for the correction :eek:)

    You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Mark Goldin

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:19:21 GMT, "Rob Meade"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jeff Cochran" wrote...
    >
    >> Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
    >> web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
    >> not have IIS available.

    >Hi Jeff,
    >
    >Thanks for the correction :eek:)
    >
    >You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?

    See:

    XP Home has no IIS/PWS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304197

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 5, 2004
  6. Mark Goldin

    Paxton Guest

    Rob Meade wrote:
    > "Jeff Cochran" wrote...
    >

    >>Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
    >>web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
    >>not have IIS available.

    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > Thanks for the correction :eek:)
    >
    > You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    Nope :)

    ~P

    Paxton, Dec 5, 2004
  7. Mark Goldin

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
    : On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:19:21 GMT, "Rob Meade"
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >"Jeff Cochran" wrote...
    : >
    : >> Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
    : >> web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
    : >> not have IIS available.
    : >
    : >Hi Jeff,
    : >
    : >Thanks for the correction :eek:)
    : >
    : >You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?
    :
    : See:
    :
    : XP Home has no IIS/PWS:
    : http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304197

    IIS is not PWS. IIS from W2K does work on XP Home. Been there, done that.
    http://www.iis-resources.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=48

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */