Multiple web sites

Mark Goldin

I have registered a domain that forwards every hit to my home PC.
I have configured Default Web site to show one Web from my PC.
So when people navigate to www.mydomain.com they see that site.
What if I want to how more then one web site? Is there a way of doing that?

Thanks

Rob Meade

What if I want to how more then one web site? Is there a way of doing
that?

Hello Mark,

I'm making some assumptions here, ie, you're using IIS etc, however if you
have the professional version of Windows Server you can setup multiple
Websites within IIS, all you need to do then, if you have just the one IP
address is to use the Host Headers, add the domain name (ie,
www.your_domain.com) for each website, so although all sites come through
the one IP, they'll get seperated out once the header is picked up.

If you have the Home edition then I believe you can only have the one
Website within IIS, in this scenario all requests would come through the one
IP address to your machine, but then you'd have no real way of splitting
them out to different directories (as far as I know), you could have
multiple domain names pointing to the same actual website obviously...

I hope this helps, for reference you might try
in the future which would be more
appropriate for this type of post.

Regards

Rob

Jeff Cochran

[...]

Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
not have IIS available.

This question is frequently asked in the IIS group, Google for help or
ask there.

Jeff

Rob Meade

Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
not have IIS available.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the correction :eek:)

You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?

Regards

Rob

Roland Hall

in message
: On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:19:21 GMT, "Rob Meade"
:
: >"Jeff Cochran" wrote...
: >
: >> Just to clarify these, server versions of Windows/IIS allow multiple
: >> web sites, workstation versions allow a single web site. XP Home does
: >> not have IIS available.
: >
: >Hi Jeff,
: >
: >Thanks for the correction :eek:)
: >
: >You can download IIS for XP Home though can't you?
:
: See:
:
: XP Home has no IIS/PWS:
: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304197

IIS is not PWS. IIS from W2K does work on XP Home. Been there, done that.
http://www.iis-resources.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=48

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */