multiprocessing newbie - semaphore question

Discussion in 'Python' started by xera121, Oct 3, 2009.

  1. xera121

    xera121 Guest

    Hi,
    I'm interested in this type of programming but need some fundamental
    questions answered if someone could oblige:

    In the docs for the mutiprocessing module it mentions right at the
    beginning about an underlying semaphore system - would MPI2 fit the
    bill running on a Beowulf cluster?

    Is the mutiprocessing module usable for writing apps to run on a
    Beowulf cluster - i.e. can I use it for an app that will share the
    work amongst the nodes?

    I am looking for a way to share the processing on a task which
    requires intensive and repetitive work done over a large dataset in a
    sqlite table and I wondered if this would be a way to share the load
    over a number of pcs I have available for this task.

    My other idea is a simple(ish) client/server model which I am pretty
    confident I can execute whereas the setup of the cluster and the
    writing of a multiprocessing app would require a lot of prep and study/
    testing.

    Therefore the bottom line is is it worth it? I know I haven't been too
    specific of what I'm doing but I just wanted a quick feel for the task
    from those who have more knowledge of the subject - Oh and btw I am
    NOT an expert programmer by any means and would expect almost all my
    code to be deemed as amateurish - but it keeps me happy and only
    breaks every other iteration ;-)

    xera121

    xera121, Oct 3, 2009