multiprocessing vs. distributed processing

Discussion in 'Python' started by James Mills, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. James Mills

    James Mills Guest

    I've noticed over the past few weeks lots of questions
    asked about multi-processing (including myself).

    For those of you new to multi-processing, perhaps this
    thread may help you. Some things I want to start off
    with to point out are:

    "multiprocessing will not always help you get things done faster."

    "be aware of I/O bound applications vs. CPU bound"

    "multiple CPUs (cores) can compute multiple concurrent expressions -
    not read 2 files concurrently"

    "in some cases, you may be after distributed processing rather than
    multi or parallel processing"

    cheers
    James

    --