    --
    Mark Thomas

    , Jun 17, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Disclaimer: Ruby newbie here.
    >
    > Does Ruby have a multitasking server that will react to events and run
    > user code based on those events? I'm not looking for a specialized
    > server that is only web or tcp. I would like to handle other things as
    > well, say for example incoming serial data.
    >
    > In Perl, I would use POE (http://poe.perl.org/?What_POE_Is) for such a
    > thing, and in Python there is the Twisted framework
    > (http://twistedmatrix.com/).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You have threads and DRB (which uses threads internally). Although
    threads are non native they do their job pretty good. Is it that what you
    looked for?

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jun 17, 2005

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Disclaimer: Ruby newbie here.
    > >
    > > Does Ruby have a multitasking server that will react to events and run
    > > user code based on those events? I'm not looking for a specialized
    > > server that is only web or tcp. I would like to handle other things as
    > > well, say for example incoming serial data.
    > >
    > > In Perl, I would use POE (http://poe.perl.org/?What_POE_Is) for such a
    > > thing, and in Python there is the Twisted framework
    > > (http://twistedmatrix.com/).
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > You have threads and DRB (which uses threads internally). Although
    > threads are non native they do their job pretty good. Is it that what you
    > looked for?

    Not really, though I can't find much in English about DRB. However,
    using those terms to search RAA brought up IO::Reactor, which looks
    like the kind of thing I'm looking for EXCEPT for the fact that it
    hasn't been updated since 2003. Is it dead?

    - Mark.

    , Jun 17, 2005
  4. Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 wrote:

    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Disclaimer: Ruby newbie here.
    >>>
    >>> Does Ruby have a multitasking server that will react to events and run
    >>> user code based on those events? I'm not looking for a specialized
    >>> server that is only web or tcp. I would like to handle other things as
    >>> well, say for example incoming serial data.
    >>>
    >>> In Perl, I would use POE (http://poe.perl.org/?What_POE_Is) for such a
    >>> thing, and in Python there is the Twisted framework
    >>> (http://twistedmatrix.com/).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> You have threads and DRB (which uses threads internally). Although
    >> threads are non native they do their job pretty good. Is it that what you
    >> looked for?

    > Not really, though I can't find much in English about DRB. However,
    > using those terms to search RAA brought up IO::Reactor, which looks
    > like the kind of thing I'm looking for EXCEPT for the fact that it
    > hasn't been updated since 2003. Is it dead?

    i have a tool which makes it trivial to set up a system which reacts to
    filesystem events by running arbitrary programs... can you elaborate on what
    kinds of events you want to react to and how you want to react to them (eg
    external programs, functions called, etc)

    cheers.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Jun 17, 2005
  5. wrote:

    <snip>

    > Not really, though I can't find much in English about DRB. However,
    > using those terms to search RAA brought up IO::Reactor, which looks
    > like the kind of thing I'm looking for EXCEPT for the fact that it
    > hasn't been updated since 2003. Is it dead?
    >
    > - Mark.

    No, just stable. :)

    The author, Michael Granger, is still around and can even be found in
    #ruby-lang from time to time.

    Regards,

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Jun 17, 2005
  6. tsuraan Guest

    > i have a tool which makes it trivial to set up a system which reacts to
    > filesystem events by running arbitrary programs... can you elaborate on =

    what
    > kinds of events you want to react to and how you want to react to them (e=

    > external programs, functions called, etc)

    I'd be interested in seeing this. I was trying to get FAM and inotify
    to work last week, and had little luck with either. How are you doing
    it?

    tsuraan, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Corey Guest

    On Friday 17 June 2005 09:10 am, wrote:
    > However, using those terms to search RAA brought up IO::Reactor, which looks
    > like the kind of thing I'm looking for EXCEPT for the fact that it
    > hasn't been updated since 2003.

    Actually, it was last updated November of 2004 - currently it's at version
    0.0.6 .

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/io-reactor/0.0.6

    I'm glad this was brought up, because I was actualy looking for something
    along these lines as well.

    Corey, Jun 18, 2005

    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?DrbTutorial

    Brian Candler, Jun 18, 2005
  9. Mark Thomas Guest

    Mark Thomas, Jun 19, 2005
  10. Corey Guest

    On Saturday 18 June 2005 08:45 pm, Mark Thomas wrote:
    > Corey wrote:
    > > Actually, it was last updated November of 2004 - currently it's at
    > > version 0.0.6 .
    > >
    > > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/io-reactor/0.0.6

    > That's odd. The Changelog doesn't have any entries past 2003.

    You're right - my bad; I misinterpreted the "Last update:" on the RAA page.

    ( that's what I get for trying to be pedantic! )

    <grin>

    Sorry for the noise!

    Corey, Jun 19, 2005
  11. Corey wrote:
    > On Saturday 18 June 2005 08:45 pm, Mark Thomas wrote:
    > > That's odd. The Changelog doesn't have any entries past 2003.

    > You're right - my bad; I misinterpreted the "Last update:" on the RAA page.
    >
    > ( that's what I get for trying to be pedantic! )

    No, no, you're correct. The last update to the *module* was on
    2004-11-16; it's just that I haven't updated the Changelog in a while.
    I'll rectify that, but in the meantime you can see the revision log
    (from which I generate the Changelog anyway) at:

    http://www.deveiate.org/projects/IO-Reactor/log/trunk

    And Dan's right; just because it hasn't been updated in a while doesn't
    mean it's dead. I haven't gotten any bug reports or feature requests
    for it, and it works for me just fine (see
    http://www.deveiate.org/projects/RMemCache/browser/trunk/lib/memcache.rb
    for an example). If there's something you expected to see since
    November, please do let me know.

    Michael Granger, Jun 22, 2005