Multithreaded Python FSM (Harel State Machines)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Leonard J. Reder, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Hello list,

    I have been searching on the web for a while now for a specific Python
    implementation of an FSM. More specifically what I am looking
    for is a Python implementation of the so called UML Harel State Machine
    notion of a state machine. These are multi-threaded capable state
    machines with hierarchical representation capability (nested
    instances of state machines). They also have a unique conditional
    trigger symbol scheme for event representation and state machine
    transitions.

    I have seen some great implementations of simple FSMs and some
    interesting descriptions of how generator/yeild python keywords can be
    used. I think python has all the pieces to make a Heral implementation.

    Does anyone know of a Python implementation of FSM that comes close to
    this functionality? Any comments or recommendation for FSM packages
    that I could add this functionality to would also be welcome. I
    certainly think someone has done something that approaches this already.

    All replies are very much appreciated. If I get enough response I will
    post a summary of findings to this group.

    Thanks for reading this and please reply.

    Regards,
    Len

    Leonard J. Reder
    Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    Interferometry Systems and Technology Section 383
    Email:
    Phone (Voice): 818-354-3639
    Phone (FAX): 818-354-4357
    Mail Address:
    Mail Stop: 171-113
    4800 Oak Grove Dr.
    Pasadena, CA. 91109

    Leonard J. Reder, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Hello, I am sending this out again in hopes that someone will
    have some meaningful comments on FSM (finite state machine)
    modules avaliable for Python. Hope to get a reply or two
    this time. Thanks.

    Leonard J. Reder wrote:

    I have been searching on the web for a specific Python
    implementation of a FSM. More specifically looking
    for a Harel State Machine implementation.

    The Harel State Machine allows multi-threaded capable state
    machines with hierarchical representation capability (nested
    instances of state machines). They also have a unique conditional
    trigger symbol scheme for event representation and state machine
    transitions. Usually the multiple threads communicate over some
    sort of queue.

    I have seen some implementations of simple FSMs and some
    interesting descriptions of how the generator/yeild Python keywords can be
    used. I think Python has all the pieces to make a Heral implementation.

    Does anyone know of a Python implementation of FSM that comes close to
    this functionality? Any comments or recommendation for FSM packages
    that I could add this functionality to would be welcome. I
    certainly think someone has done this approach already.

    Leonard J. Reder, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Leonard J. Reder

    fraca7 Guest

    Leonard J. Reder a écrit :

    > [snip]

    http://smc.sourceforge.net/

    It's probably not what you're looking for, but it's the closest I can
    think of.

    fraca7, Jun 16, 2005
  4. WOW! Thanks, this looks remarkabley close to what I was talking about.

    Leonard J. Reder, Jun 18, 2005