Multithreading Async aspx best approach

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by milesm, May 6, 2004.

  1. milesm

    milesm Guest

    I've spent the last 3 hours reading various MSDN articles, other site
    articles and news group postings and was wondering what the best approach to
    my situation would be since I'm unable to come up with the best approach.

    What's Needed........
    1. Various background SQL inserts that don't interrupt the client
    request/response
    2. Various background emails generated and sent that are separate from the
    client request/response
    3. Every single page load doing a SQL insert that is separate from the
    client request/response
    4. And other similar tasks........

    Also, my site is running MSCMS 2002. Now, should I put all this background
    processing code in a separate dll that can be called from the application
    state? Or, put code in a separate dl that can be called from anywhere as
    needed? And, what would be the best approach........

    Async Handler with custom thread pool below seems like overkill, isn't their
    a much easier way?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/Threading/

    --

    Marc Miles
    milesm, May 6, 2004

  2. I'd suggest creating a Windows Service to handle all your background tasks.
    Here's more information on Windows Services:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...nvssamp/html/vbcs_CreatingaWindowsService.asp

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP