Multithreading problem

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by ArmedCoder, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. ArmedCoder

    ArmedCoder Guest

    Hi, im just learning about multithreading for a program i am writin
    that needs to read from multiple camreas attached to the computer a
    the same time.
    I know how to create threads and pass around info, and i know a bi
    about mutexes but this is not where the problem resides.
    Every time the thread goes to open the device at /dev/video* the threa
    just stops running as far as i can see.
    i put printf's all over the place and it prints right before the ope
    call on the camera, then the next thread kicks in and does the sam
    thing.
    I know the camreas work cuse when i go back to the non-multithreade
    code, everything works just fine.
    Also if i try the open call outside the thread, then pass the camre
    into the thread, they open fine but when the read() call comes, the
    the thread dies in the same way.
    Does anyone have any ideas whats going on?
    Here is the code for the program.

    Code
    -------------------
    #include "dispimg.h"
    #include "imggroup.h"
    #include "ifpng.h"
    #include "ifqcam.h"
    #include "error.h"
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <pthread.h>

    #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    #include <sys/mman.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #include <linux/videodev.h>

    #include <X11/Xlib.h>
    #include <X11/Xutil.h>
    #include <X11/Xos.h>
    #include <X11/Xatom.h>

    #define SETWIDTH 320
    #define SETHEIGHT 240
    #define SETDEPTH 3
    #define SETFOV 0.1
    #define SETZDIST 50
    #define WINDOWWIDTH 980
    #define WINDOWHEIGHT 480
    #define MAXVIEWS 15

    // Globals that all files can see
    int imgwidth = SETWIDTH;
    int imgheight = SETHEIGHT;
    int imgdepth = SETDEPTH;

    extern Display *display;
    extern Window win;

    typedef unsigned char * charp;

    pthread_mutex_t a_mutex = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;

    struct thread_data
    {
    char deviceName[40];
    int device;
    char name[200];
    int maxFrames;
    int xOffset;
    int yOffset;
    char experiment;
    char nopng;
    int cam;
    char isbottom;
    pthread_mutex_t the_mutex;
    };

    void * cam_read( void * theInfo )
    {
    int width, height, depth;
    int i, result;
    unsigned char * image;
    struct thread_data *data;
    data = (struct thread_data *)theInfo;

    char prefix[200];
    int rc;

    fflush(stdout);
    printf( "%s\n", data->deviceName );
    /* rc = pthread_mutex_lock( &a_mutex ); */
    /* if( !rc ) */
    /* { */
    /* printf( "Mutex locked in cam_open\n" ); */
    /* } */
    /* else */
    /* { */
    /* printf( "Cant lock mutex in cam_open\n" ); */
    /* } */
    //data->device = open( data->deviceName, O_RDWR);
    data->device = open_camera( data->deviceName, a_mutex );
    /* if( !rc ) */
    /* { */
    /* printf( "Mutex unlocked in cam_open\n" ); */
    /* } */
    fflush(stdout);
    printf( "%s %d\n", "hi", data->device );

    for( i = 0; i < data->maxFrames; i++ )
    {
    printf( "%s %i\n", "READ FRAME:", i );
    // read the cam image
    result = qcam_read( data->device, &width, &height, &depth,
    &image, a_mutex );
    printf( "%d\n", result );
    if( !result )
    {
    printf( "%s %i\n", "BLEAH:", i );
    get_actual_image( image, width, height, depth,
    data->xOffset, data->yOffset, data->isbottom, 1 );
    }

    if( !data->nopng )
    {
    if( !data->experiment )
    {
    sprintf( prefix, "../var/%s_%d/%s_%d %03d.png", data->name, data->cam, data->name, data->cam, i );
    }
    else if ( data->experiment )
    {
    sprintf( prefix, "../var/experiments/image_sequences/%s/%s_%d/%s_%d %03d.png", data->name,
    data->name, data->cam, data->name,
    data->cam, i );
    }
    // Ends up looknig like "dirname_cam/frame.png"
    png_write_qcam( prefix, width, height, i, image, data->isbottom );
    //fprintf( stdout, "%s\n", prefix );
    }
    free( image );
    }

    close_camera( data->device );
    pthread_exit(0);
    }

    int main (int argc, char ** argv)
    {
    charp image[MAXVIEWS];
    int width[MAXVIEWS], height[MAXVIEWS], depth[MAXVIEWS];
    int xOffSet[MAXVIEWS], yOffSet[MAXVIEWS];
    int error;
    int i, j;
    int gzpx[MAXVIEWS], gzpy[MAXVIEWS], gzpz[MAXVIEWS];
    double pitch[MAXVIEWS], roll[MAXVIEWS], yaw[MAXVIEWS];
    int isbottom[MAXVIEWS];
    int devices[MAXVIEWS]; // Store the camera device(s)
    FILE *stereo; // stereo.dat file pointer
    FILE *directory[MAXVIEWS]; // File pointer for the flatview info in each dir
    int numDirs = 0; // Holds the number of directorys we will be looking at, must be less than MAXVIEWS.
    int maxFrames, currentFrame;
    int viewNum; // Stores the current view being looked at.
    char name[125] = {};// Stores the name of the capture we are working on
    char filename[125];
    FILE *fp;
    char prefix[125];

    int nopng = 0; // if 1 no png will be writen.
    int up_down = 0;
    int ud_cam = 0;
    int go = 0;
    int experiment = 0; // if 1 this is capturing an experiment and will create the corect directories accordingly.

    pthread_t threads[MAXVIEWS] = {};
    struct thread_data *info[MAXVIEWS] = {};

    // Get the program flags
    for( i = 0; i < argc; i++ )
    {
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-npng" ))
    nopng = 1;
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-name" ))
    strcpy( name, argv[++i] );
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-exp" ))
    experiment = 1;
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-cams" ))
    numDirs = argv[++i];
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-u" ))
    up_down = 1;
    if( !strcmp( argv, "-go" ))
    go = 1;
    }

    if( !go )
    {
    // First get all the info from the user about what we will be caputring
    if( !strcmp( name, "" ) && !nopng)
    {
    fprintf( stdout, "What will this test be called? " );
    fscanf( stdin, "%s", name );
    }

    if( numDirs == 0 )
    {
    fprintf( stdout, "How many cameras will we be capturing from? " );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &numDirs );
    }

    if( up_down )
    {
    fprintf( stdout, "What camera is upside down? " );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &ud_cam );
    for( i = 0; i < numDirs; i++ )
    {
    if( !nopng && !go )
    {
    // Get the x, y, z, yaw, pitch, roll for each camera
    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d X pos: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &gzpx );
    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d Y pos: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &gzpy );
    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d Z pos: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &gzpz );

    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d Yaw: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%lf", &yaw );
    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d Pitch: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%lf", &pitch );
    fprintf( stdout, "cam %d Roll: ", i+1 );
    fscanf( stdin, "%lf", &roll );

    fprintf( stdout, "If the camera is upside down enter 1, otherwise enter 0. " );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &isbottom );

    // Make the directories that the pics will be stored in
    {
    if( !experiment )
    {
    sprintf( filename, "mkdir ../var/%s_%d", name, i );
    //printf( "%s\n", filename );
    }
    else if ( experiment )
    {
    sprintf( filename, "mkdir ../var/experiments/image_sequences/%s/%s_%d", name, name, i );
    }
    system( filename );
    else
    {
    gzpx = 0;
    gzpy = 0;
    gzpz = 0;
    yaw = 0;
    pitch = 0;
    roll = 0;
    if( up_down == 1 && (ud_cam - 1) == i )
    isbottom = 1;
    else
    isbottom[i] = 0;

    if( !nopng )
    {
    fprintf( stdout, "How many frames will we capture? " );
    fscanf( stdin, "%d", &maxFrames );
    }
    else
    {
    maxFrames = 5000;
    }

    // init the display
    init_display(argv[0],WINDOWWIDTH,WINDOWHEIGHT);

    // Setup the x and y offset for the images
    for( i = 0; i < numDirs; i++ )
    {
    if( i < 2 )
    {
    xOffSet[i] = ( i % 3 ) * 320;
    yOffSet[i] = ( i / 2 ) * 240;
    }
    if( i >= 2 )
    {
    xOffSet[i] = (( i + 1 ) % 3 ) * 320;
    yOffSet[i] = (( i + 1 ) / 2 ) + 240;

    // Write the .dat file for each directory
    if( !nopng )
    {
    for( i = 0; i < numDirs; i++ )
    {
    if( !experiment )
    {
    sprintf( filename, "../var/%s_%d.dat", name, i );
    sprintf( prefix, "%s_%d/%s_%d", name, i, name, i );
    }
    else if ( experiment )
    {
    sprintf( filename, "../var/experiments/image_sequences/%s/%s_%d.dat", name, name, i );
    sprintf( prefix, "experiments/image_sequences/%s/%s_%d/%s_%d", name, name, i, name, i );
    }
    fp = fopen( filename, "w" );
    fprintf( fp, "%s\n%d\n%d\n%d\n%d %d %d\n%lf %lf %lf\n", prefix, 0,
    currentFrame, 3, gzpx[i], gzpy[i], gzpz[i],
    yaw[i], pitch[i], roll[i] );
    fclose( fp );

    // Make all the threads
    for( i = 0; i < numDirs; i++ )
    {
    info[i] = ( struct thread_data* )malloc( sizeof( struct thread_data ));
    sprintf( info[i]->deviceName, "/dev/video%d", i );
    strcpy( info[i]->name, name );
    info[i]->maxFrames = maxFrames;
    info[i]->xOffset = xOffSet[i];
    info[i]->yOffset = yOffSet[i];
    info[i]->nopng = nopng;
    info[i]->experiment = experiment;
    info[i]->cam = i;
    info[i]->isbottom = isbottom[i];
    //info[i]->the_mutex = a_mutex;

    pthread_create( &threads[i], 0,
    cam_read,
    (void *)info[i]);
    }

    /* for( i = 0; i < numDirs; i++ ) */
    /* { */
    /* pthread_join(info[i], 0); */
    /* } */

    ArmedCoder, Aug 27, 2004

  2. ArmedCoder

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi, im just learning about multithreading for a program i am writing

    [snip]

    c.l.c doesn't discuss programs that use extension not in the ANSI/ISO
    C standards. pthreads are a POSIX standard, and unfortunately for you,
    Off-topic here. comp.programming.threads would be a good place to try
    instead.

    --
    Randy Howard
    To reply, remove FOOBAR.
    Randy Howard, Aug 27, 2004

  3. ArmedCoder <> writes:
    > Hi, im just learning about multithreading for a program i am writing
    > that needs to read from multiple camreas attached to the computer at
    > the same time.

    Sorry, we don't do multithreading here. It's not supported in
    standard C, only in extensions to the language.

    Try a newsgroup that talks about either threading or your operating
    system. comp.programming.threads looks promising, but you might want
    to lurk there before posting (I know nothing about it other than its
    name).

    Keith Thompson, Aug 27, 2004