munged rendering in Firefox ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SAL, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. SAL

    SAL Guest

    Hello, I did google this issue and found some stuff related to BrowserCaps
    section of either web.config or machine.config but it didn't work.

    It seems that most pages in my webapp are okay but a couple of the Firefox
    is munging up.
    So, on my information page there is a gridview in the content section of the
    page. The masterpage contains searching capabilities for the gridview. The
    masterpage has controls contained in a panel control, labels, textboxes a
    dropdownlist and a button to execute the search. Firefox shows the Gridview
    just fine but it looks like it's overlaying the masterpage onto the top part
    of the gridview.
    I dropped the browsercaps section from slingfive into my web.config file but
    it didn't change anything.

    I tried replacing the panel with a placeholder and it fixed the munging
    problem but the text box widths don't render the same either. My master page
    contains stuff for the header of everypage and there's a dropdownlist in
    there with some other stuff. This gets kind of munged too.
    Now, I could go through and make some similar changes to the master page
    like I did with replacing the panel server control with a placeholder but it
    seems like there should be a better way to make this stuff render correctly
    in Firefox.

    Any help here with this issue?

    SAL

    SAL, Jul 25, 2008

  2. SAL

    Allen Chen Guest

    Hi SAL
    From your description your page doesn't display the expected layout in
    FireFox (I have two questions as to this: What's the version of the
    FireFox? Does it work in IE?).
    Based on my experience it's generally caused by the different rendering
    engine of different browsers. FireFox uses Gecko while IE uses MSHTML.
    If you could send me a demo project that can reproduce this problem I'll
    try to find the root cause and a workaround if there is.
    My email is .

    Regards
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Allen Chen, Jul 28, 2008

  3. SAL

    Allen Chen Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for your project. For your convenience I copied your reply here:

    Allen,
    thank you for your reply.
    Does it work in IE-- Yes
    What version of Firefox-- 3.0.1
    I have attached a sample program that reproduces the problem.
    In the main content, the content from the masterpage overlaps the content
    of the grid in the child page. I have this same basic problem with a very
    detailed page in my production website along with a more simple one like
    this one in this sample.
    In the header area, the dropdownlist does not display it's height properly.
    I have included the databases from SQLServer express. You will need to
    change the connection strings perhaps and attach the databases to an
    install on your machine maybe. Let me know if I have left something out.
    Steve Long
    GIS Analyst
    Clark County, WA
    360-397-2092 ext 4421

    I've tested it in IE 7 but still get the overlapped GridView. To clarify
    the problem I've sent you an email with a screenshot. Please check if the
    layout is what you've seen in FireFox.
    If it's the same layout here's the solution:
    1. Open the master page GISMasterSearch.master with Notepad.
    2. Search "Panel1" in it and remove the Height from the element: <asp:panel
    ID="Panel1" runat="server" Width="642px" BorderStyle="Solid"
    BorderWidth=0px BorderColor=lightGray>.
    3. Save the file and close it.
    Here are the steps how I troubleshoot:
    1. I opened your page and found the GridView is overlapped.
    2. I viewed the source and copied all the content in a newly created
    testpage.aspx. The reason to do this is that I can simply edit the page and
    preview the layout in Split view of Visual Studio.
    3. I removed other irrelevant html tags one by one to narrow it down.
    4. Finally here's the concise html that can reproduce this problem:
    style="position: relative; height: 528px" >
    <!-- SECOND COLUMN of "BODY" TABLE -->

    <a id="ctl00_Menu1_SkipLink"></a>
    style="border-color:LightGrey;border-width:0px;border-style:Solid;height:50p
    x;width:642px;">

    font-size: medium" id="tblSearch">
    id="ctl00_lblName">Annexation Name</span></td>
    <input name="ctl00$txtName"
    type="text" id="ctl00_txtName" /></td>

    id="ctl00_lblAgency">Annexation Agency</span></td>
    <input
    name="ctl00$txtAgency" type="text" id="ctl00_txtAgency" /></td>

    height: 12px">
    id="ctl00_lblStatus">Agency Status</span></td>
    height: 12px">
    <select name="ctl00$ddlStatus"
    id="ctl00_ddlStatus" title="Annexation Status may be mixed with Agency to
    get a list of agencies with status" style="width:153px;">
    <option selected="selected" value="-1">None</option>
    <option value="1">Proposed</option>
    <option value="2">In Process</option>
    <option value="3">Certified</option>
    <option value="4">Completed</option>
    <option value="8">Failed</option>
    <option value="9">No Data</option>

    </select></td>

    height: 12px">
    id="ctl00_lblTaxYear">Tax Year</span></td>
    height: 12px">
    <input name="ctl00$txtTaxYear"
    type="text" id="ctl00_txtTaxYear" style="width:148px;" /></td>

    height: 12px">
    id="ctl00_lblEffectiveYear">Effective Year</span></td>
    height: 12px">
    <input name="ctl00$txtEffectiveYear"
    type="text" id="ctl00_txtEffectiveYear" style="width:148px;" /></td>

    height: 12px">
    height: 12px">
    <input type="submit"
    name="ctl00$Button1" value="Search" id="ctl00_Button1" title="Leave all
    field blank to select all" style="width:153px;" /></td>

    height: 12px">
    height: 12px">
    <a id="ctl00_lbtnChangePwd"
    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$lbtnChangePwd','')">Change
    Password</a></td>

    id="ctl00_MainContent_OrgUnitsgv" style="border-collapse:collapse;">
    MEDICAL EXAMINER</td>
    WORKS</td>
    DID ROAD MAINTANANCE</td>
    HUMAN RESOURCES</td>
    JUVENILE</td>
    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$2')">2</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$3')">3</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$4')">4</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$5')">5</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$6')">6</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$7')">7</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$8')">8</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$9')">9</a

    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$10')">10<
    /a></td><td><a
    href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$MainContent$OrgUnitsgv','Page$11')">...
    </a></td>

    5. Now it's obvious that the style of the div (or table) causes this
    problem. I removed the height of ctl00_Panel1 and it works fine then.
    6. Then I need to find the counterpart in the master page that renders this
    div and change the style. I opened GISMasterSearch.master and searched
    "Panel1" to find the Panel. I saw the Height is hard coded there. So I
    removed it and the problem was gone.

    If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

    Regards
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------
    | From: (Allen Chen)
    | Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:29:38 GMT
    | Subject: RE: munged rendering in Firefox ASP.NET 2.0
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hi SAL
    | From your description your page doesn't display the expected layout in
    | FireFox (I have two questions as to this: What's the version of the
    | FireFox? Does it work in IE?).
    | Based on my experience it's generally caused by the different rendering
    | engine of different browsers. FireFox uses Gecko while IE uses MSHTML.
    | If you could send me a demo project that can reproduce this problem I'll
    | try to find the root cause and a workaround if there is.
    | My email is .
    |
    | Regards
    | Allen Chen
    | Microsoft Online Support
    |
    | Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
    | suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
    Please
    | feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
    | provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
    | .

    | ications.
    |
    | Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
    issues
    | where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
    | Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each
    follow
    | up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
    | professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
    | most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
    | that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
    | project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
    | handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
    | Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
    | http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.
    | ==================================================
    rights.

    | --------------------
    | | From: "SAL" <>
    | | Subject: munged rendering in Firefox ASP.NET 2.0
    | | Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:45:39 -0700
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | |
    | | Hello, I did google this issue and found some stuff related to
    | BrowserCaps
    | | section of either web.config or machine.config but it didn't work.
    | |
    | | It seems that most pages in my webapp are okay but a couple of the
    | Firefox
    | | is munging up.
    | | So, on my information page there is a gridview in the content section
    of
    | the
    | | page. The masterpage contains searching capabilities for the gridview.
    | The
    | | masterpage has controls contained in a panel control, labels, textboxes
    | | dropdownlist and a button to execute the search. Firefox shows the
    | Gridview
    | | just fine but it looks like it's overlaying the masterpage onto the top
    | part
    | | of the gridview.
    | | I dropped the browsercaps section from slingfive into my web.config
    file
    | but
    | | it didn't change anything.
    | |
    | | I tried replacing the panel with a placeholder and it fixed the munging
    | | problem but the text box widths don't render the same either. My master
    | page
    | | contains stuff for the header of everypage and there's a dropdownlist
    in
    | | there with some other stuff. This gets kind of munged too.
    | | Now, I could go through and make some similar changes to the master
    page
    | | like I did with replacing the panel server control with a placeholder
    but
    | it
    | | seems like there should be a better way to make this stuff render
    | correctly
    | | in Firefox.
    | |
    | | Any help here with this issue?
    | |
    | | SAL
    | |
    | |
    | |

    Allen Chen, Jul 29, 2008
  4. SAL

    SAL Guest

    Allen,
    Removing the height from the panel control did indeed stop it from
    overlapping. I also had to remove the height attribute from the dropdownlist
    at the top of the page to keep it from looking munged up(squished down
    actually). The website is looking good now in firefox and IE 6.x

    Thank you for the good support

    SAL, Jul 31, 2008