  1. Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
    worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
    library)?

    Daniel Summars, Feb 13, 2009

  2. Daniel Summars wrote:
    > Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
    > worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
    > library)?

    Yes. Win32OLE works with the host app, in this case Excel. You probably
    want a COM library that can read/write excel spreadsheets directly. I
    think there are free ones out there but it depends on what features and
    excel version support you need.

    Mario Gutierrez, Feb 13, 2009

  3. Daniel Summars

    Hannes Wyss Guest

    On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Mario Gutierrez <> wrote:
    > Daniel Summars wrote:
    >> Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
    >> worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
    >> library)?

    > Yes. Win32OLE works with the host app, in this case Excel. You probably
    > want a COM library that can read/write excel spreadsheets directly. I
    > think there are free ones out there but it depends on what features and
    > excel version support you need.

    <ShamelessPlug>
    ...or you can use the Spreadsheet gem:

    http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org

    $> gem install spreadsheet
    </ShamelessPlug>

    hth
    Hannes

    Hannes Wyss, Feb 13, 2009
  4. Hannes Wyss wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Mario Gutierrez <>
    > wrote:
    >> Daniel Summars wrote:
    >>> Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
    >>> worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
    >>> library)?

    >> Yes. Win32OLE works with the host app, in this case Excel. You probably
    >> want a COM library that can read/write excel spreadsheets directly. I
    >> think there are free ones out there but it depends on what features and
    >> excel version support you need.

    > <ShamelessPlug>
    > ...or you can use the Spreadsheet gem:
    >
    > http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org
    >
    > $> gem install spreadsheet
    > </ShamelessPlug>
    >
    > hth
    > Hannes

    Hannes Wyss and Mario Gutierre,

    Thank you both.
    Both answers are very helpful.
    I'm also thinking it would make a lot of sense too if the provider of
    the spreadsheets simply saved them to CSV files too. Then we probably
    really don't need MS-Excel at all.

    Thanks again!

    Daniel Summars, Feb 13, 2009