Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS

Daniel Summars

Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
library)?

Mario Gutierrez

Daniel said:
Must MS-Excel be installed on the machine to ONLY read an MS-Excel
worksheet file (e.g. TEST.XLS) with Ruby (using Ruby's win32ole
library)?

Yes. Win32OLE works with the host app, in this case Excel. You probably
want a COM library that can read/write excel spreadsheets directly. I
think there are free ones out there but it depends on what features and
excel version support you need.

Hannes Wyss

Yes. Win32OLE works with the host app, in this case Excel. You probably
want a COM library that can read/write excel spreadsheets directly. I
think there are free ones out there but it depends on what features and
excel version support you need.

<ShamelessPlug>
...or you can use the Spreadsheet gem:

http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org

$> gem install spreadsheet
</ShamelessPlug>

hth
Hannes

Daniel Summars

Hannes said:
<ShamelessPlug>
...or you can use the Spreadsheet gem:

http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org

$> gem install spreadsheet
</ShamelessPlug>

hth
Hannes

Hannes Wyss and Mario Gutierre,

Thank you both.
Both answers are very helpful.
I'm also thinking it would make a lot of sense too if the provider of
the spreadsheets simply saved them to CSV files too. Then we probably
really don't need MS-Excel at all.

Thanks again!