must use updateable query

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Web Search Store, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. I'm getting this error on my web page:

    Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
    query.
    /searchweb33.asp, line 5014

    Here is the code producing it:

    myDSN="d:\data\main_database.mdb
    set conntemp3=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
    conntemp3.Mode = 3 '3 = adModeReadWrite
    conntemp3.open myDSN
    sqltemp="update [db_version_table] set db_title='used'"
    set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

    The error is produced on the execute statement

    What am I missing here? This code used to work fine on another server.

    It says use an updateable query, and my query is updatable.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Web Search Store, Nov 24, 2005

  2. "Web Search Store" <> wrote in

    > I'm getting this error on my web page:
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an
    > updateable query.
    > /searchweb33.asp, line 5014
    >
    > Here is the code producing it:
    >
    > myDSN="d:\data\main_database.mdb
    > set conntemp3=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
    > conntemp3.Mode = 3 '3 = adModeReadWrite
    > conntemp3.open myDSN
    > sqltemp="update [db_version_table] set db_title='used'"
    > set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)
    >
    > The error is produced on the execute statement
    >
    > What am I missing here? This code used to work fine on another
    > server.
    >
    > It says use an updateable query, and my query is updatable.

    This is a common question. Search the asp.net groups on
    http://groups.google.com/ for "updateable query".

    Chris.
    -------------
    C.R. Timmons Consulting, Inc.
    http://www.crtimmonsinc.com/
    Chris R. Timmons, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Web Search Store

    Ken Cox Guest

    Make sure the ASPNET account (or the impersonated user) has modify
    privileges on the directory where the .mdb file is stored. Access needs to
    create a locking file as it works.

    Ken Cox, Nov 24, 2005
  4. I blogged how to solve your problem at:-
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/naijacoder
    Hope that helps
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Web Search Store

    Terry Kreft Guest

    Welll I know nothing about asp but an update query doesn't return records so
    I would look at changing
    set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

    call conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

    --
    Terry Kreft

    Terry Kreft, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Hello Patrick,

    Thanks very much. Your blog entry led me to get the problem solved. (The
    problem resulted from creating the folder from a different machine, so it
    inherited all the permissions from the other machine, which were incorrect.
    Once I could reveal the 'security' tab, I changed to folder permissions to
    match the ones on the other machine.

    Thanks again!

    Scott

    Web Search Store, Nov 26, 2005