must use updateable query

Web Search Store

I'm getting this error on my web page:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
query.
/searchweb33.asp, line 5014

Here is the code producing it:

myDSN="d:\data\main_database.mdb
set conntemp3=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
conntemp3.Mode = 3 '3 = adModeReadWrite
conntemp3.open myDSN
sqltemp="update [db_version_table] set db_title='used'"
set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

The error is produced on the execute statement

What am I missing here? This code used to work fine on another server.

It says use an updateable query, and my query is updatable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris R. Timmons

I'm getting this error on my web page:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an
updateable query.
/searchweb33.asp, line 5014

Here is the code producing it:

myDSN="d:\data\main_database.mdb
set conntemp3=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
conntemp3.Mode = 3 '3 = adModeReadWrite
conntemp3.open myDSN
sqltemp="update [db_version_table] set db_title='used'"
set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

The error is produced on the execute statement

What am I missing here? This code used to work fine on another
server.

It says use an updateable query, and my query is updatable.

This is a common question. Search the asp.net groups on
http://groups.google.com/ for "updateable query".

Chris.

Ken Cox

Make sure the ASPNET account (or the impersonated user) has modify
privileges on the directory where the .mdb file is stored. Access needs to
create a locking file as it works.

Terry Kreft

Welll I know nothing about asp but an update query doesn't return records so
I would look at changing
set rstemp3=conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

call conntemp3.execute(sqltemp)

Web Search Store

Hello Patrick,

Thanks very much. Your blog entry led me to get the problem solved. (The
problem resulted from creating the folder from a different machine, so it
inherited all the permissions from the other machine, which were incorrect.
Once I could reveal the 'security' tab, I changed to folder permissions to
match the ones on the other machine.

Thanks again!

Scott
Patrick.O.Ige said:
I blogged how to solve your problem at:-
http://spaces.msn.com/members/naijacoder
Hope that helps
Patrick