Mutex question

Clark Snowdall

Ok ... I'm not sure what the story is with this (perhaps I'm just
clueless). But, when I do this:

class MutexTest
def initialize
@lock = Mutex.new
end
end

test = MutexTest.new

I get this:

mutex_test.rb:3:in `initialize': uninitialized constant MutexTest::Mutex
(NameError)
from mutex_test.rb:7:in `new'
from mutex_test.rb:7

But if I do THIS:

require 'rubygems'
require 'fastthread'

class MutexTest
def initialize
@lock = Mutex.new
end
end

test = MutexTest.new

It works fine. Am I missing something? I've been working out of the
pickax book and it mentions nothing of this. Side note: ruby version
1.8.6, gem version 1.1.1, running on Mac OS X 1.5.2 (with Apples builtin
ruby).

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Snowdall

7

7stud --

Clark said:
Ok ... I'm not sure what the story is with this (perhaps I'm just
clueless). But, when I do this:

class MutexTest
def initialize
@lock = Mutex.new
end
end

test = MutexTest.new

I get this:

mutex_test.rb:3:in `initialize': uninitialized constant MutexTest::Mutex
(NameError)
from mutex_test.rb:7:in `new'
from mutex_test.rb:7

m = Mutex.new
puts 'hello'

--output:--
1: uninitialized constant Mutex (NameError)

------------

require 'thread'
m = Mutex.new
puts 'hello'

--output:--
hello

See pickaxe2, p 696.

7

7stud --

7stud said:
require 'thread'
m = Mutex.new
puts 'hello'

--output:--
hello

See pickaxe2, p 696.

Also:

require 'thread'

arr = Object.constants
results = arr.find_all{|name| name[0,1]=="M"}
p results

--outuput:--
["Marshal", "Math", "Method", "MatchingData", "Mutex", "MatchData",
"Module"]