mutually exclusive actions

visionset

I tend to use an AbstractAction subclass as a factory for the usual
JButtons, JMenuItems etc.
Now I want to use mutually exclusive controls in the same way. ButtonGroup
seems the only inbuilt way to enforce mutual exclusivity. Would it be best
to emulate a ButtonGroups functionallity but to track Actions?
Now internally I guess ButtonGroup manages the deselections, so my group
implementation will need to do that, but therefore my Action implementation
will need to keep references to the mutually exclusive controls its factory
methods create. Does this sound like a plan? Alternatives?