MVC pattern - to which tier belongs this?

Stephan

Lets suppose, I want to create an use case named 'View Diary'. Its task will
be to display a table of times and tasks for one day. Something like this

12/02/2003
----------
8 : 00 wake up
9 : 00
12: 00 lunch

To be able to switch to another day's tasklist, I want to display also a
small calendar for one month, that will make it possible. The calendar
should look like the one from the MS Windows, when you double click on the
taskbar's watch. To be able to create this calendar, I need to know at least
how many days does the selected month have and what day of week is on the
first of the month.

THE QUESTION IS: To which tier belongs obtaining of this two values?

When I have done this using Struts and JSP as a presentation layer
technology, I thought it's pretty obvious, that it belongs in the
presentation tier and I used scriptlets and GregorianCalendar class to
obtain those values. Now, when I use Velocity instead of JSP, I'm not that
sure about it. Should I move it to the Action class instead?

Thanks,
Stephan