MVS Retraining

Steve Schooler

Mainframe Cobol batch programmer; on disability for several years;
hope to re-enter job market in 6 months; need refresher training.
Can't find Bay Area university that offers what I need, so I'm hoping
to find moderately priced software that allow self-training from my
PC.

Running Windows 95, with removeable hard disks, so no problem to
accommodate different operating system, if needed. Need to simulate
mainframe (MVS) environment, so that I can practice:

JCL, Cobol, TSO-ISPF-Rexx, DB2, CICS.

Request (internet) leads, insights, appropriate newsgroups to post to,
miscellaneous references...

FOLLOWUP FROM PREVIOUS RESPONSES

As suggested, building a mainframe via Hercules is an intriguing
possibility:

www.conmicrocx/hercules/
www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/index.html

1. Currently have old Pentium 166 (128 mb memory), with removeable
hard disks. Plausible to purchase additional 8 gb Eide hard disk,
install Linux on it, and then Hercules on top of it.

Is the processor speed, memory, and hard disk sufficient? The
mainframe will need to accommodate 1 user, with cobol, jcl, ...
Is a dual processor machine needed?

2. Above website(s) suggest that Cobol and Jcl may be routinely
acquired and installed over Hercules. For training purposes, I'll
also need TSO-ISPF-REXX, DB2, CICS, IDCAMS, and (optionally) other
IBM utilities (e.g. IEBGENER). If I purchase legal mainframe
copies of the needed software, will they actually run on my
Pentium 166 (et al) Hercules mainframe?

3. Can Hercules compliant versions of the software/licenses in #2
(above) be legally acquired for moderate prices?

Interesting suggested alternative is to use OS/2 instead of Hercules,
and acquire OS/2 versions of the software in #2 (above) cheaply, from
ebay.

4. Has anyone done this? What hidden pitfalls did you bump into?

5. Same hardware questions as in #1 (above), except with respect to
OS/2, rather than Linux + Hercules?

6. The whole point of my effort is refresher training before I start
working again as a mainframe cobol application programmer (with no
previous CICS experience). Are the OS/2 vs Mainframe differences
in the software in #2 above (especially CICS) mild enough so that
the training will be effective? Will I actually be able to
function as a mainframe CICS programmer? Will I be functional
with mainframe Rexx execs, and the manipulation of mainframe TSO
panels?

Andrew Thompson

| Mainframe Cobol batch programmer;

Which part of that post had anything to