    to keep it. Any suggestion?

    Thanks!

    -Randy
    Randy, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Randy

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Randy said:

    > My Bookmarks don't work.

    i know

    What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

    > I'm creating an HTML document with bookmarks (or anchors) on it.

    anchors

    > They all point to different sections of the same page. The problem is
    > that I cannot get them to work without removing the <BASE HREF= tag
    > from the head section.

    <a name="somewhereelse">somewhere else on the page</a>

    the key being 'file-name.html' which is the page with the anchor in the
    href.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Dear Brucie,

    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Yes, your suggestion works as long as
    BASE HREF is the direct source for the current HTML doc. Unfortunately that
    is not my case. I'm using BASE HREF to specify the location for tons of
    graphics I'm using from another location.

    I thought that anchors on HTML were smarter, and not based on path
    re-construction from A HREF and BASE HREF. I thought that when using A
    HREF=#MyAnchorChapter was just a simple instruction of "get to my anchored
    chapter" within this document. But it seems that the concept of "This
    document" has to do with BASE REF. That's illogical. If this is by design
    and there isn't a way around it, I would propose this as a flaw in HTML
    design.

    -Randy

    Randy, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Randy

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Randy said:

    > Dear Brucie,

    kissy

    > Yes, your suggestion works as long as BASE HREF is the direct source
    > for the current HTML doc. Unfortunately that is not my case. I'm
    > using BASE HREF to specify the location for tons of graphics I'm
    > using from another location.

    everything in your page that uses links after you specify the <base>
    href in the <head> has to link relative to that base.

    you need to author your anchors accordingly. its very simple.

    > I would propose this as a flaw in HTML design.

    i propose theres a flaw in your head

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Randy

    Randy Guest

    I know all that. But it's not that simple. Anchors work great without the
    BASE HREF. I'm using a collaborative Web page hosting solution that enforces
    the use of BASE HREF. I have no choice. And I don't think is a bad practice
    at all. You might be thinking I should use the whole document pathname and
    then # and the name of the anchor. But happens that my hosting solution may
    display the document using two different paths. So I cannot rely on the page
    path.

    I do think it is a flaw, because navigation "within the same document"
    should NOT rely on reconstruction of paths based on BASE HREF. Why W3C went
    so crazy trying to create a simple anchor to navigate within the current
    document? Maybe they just forgot that little detail.

    -Randy

    Randy, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Randy

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Randy

    Randy Guest

    I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.
    So, going back to the issue... do you think is possible or not?

    Randy, Oct 21, 2004
  8. Randy

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Randy said:

    > I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.

    <bangs head on desk/>

    > So, going back to the issue... do you think is possible or not?

    you have said all links on a page are relative to a base href. you need
    to construct your links to work relative to that base href. its simple.
    there is no point complaining about it when it is behaving exactly how
    you told it to.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Randy wrote:

    > I know and I'm sorry. I'll do it right when posting a new topic.

    So you won't reply incorrectly when your post isn't a reply?

    <bangs head on desk also/>

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Randy

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html David Dorward said:

    > <bangs head on desk also/>

    people are starting to wonder why i always have a bandaid on my
    forehead.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  11. brucie wrote:

    > people are starting to wonder why i always have a bandaid on my
    > forehead.

    Excuse me while I pop down to the patent office to register my new
    invention. "The Tension Pad". Its like a wrist rest for a keyboard, but
    painted red with "Tension Pad" written across it. It protects your forehead
    when you slam it into the desk during times of tension.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Oct 21, 2004
  12. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Thanks for helping me. I only use images and anchors on the page. All images
    rely on BASE HREF. The HTML page has a different location than BASE HREF.
    But the links to different sections of the page (anchors) cannot rely on
    BASE HREF since my hosting solution may show the same HTML page using two
    (2) virtual different addresses (URLs).

    So if I code the anchors to use one address, it will work, great, but if the
    page gets accessed from the second address on the server, then it would take
    me back to the same document, but displaying the first address. I don't want
    that, since my hosting solution changes the way documents are displayed
    depending on the address specified to access them.

    Perhaps I'm denormalizing standard Web development scenario, but I believe
    that jumping within the same page shouldn't have anything to do with BASE
    HREF.

    -Randy

    P.S.: I have been trying to crossposting and not multiposting, but it seems
    the server keep rejecting the post (perhaps as prevention to abuse of
    service)

    Randy, Oct 21, 2004
  13. Randy

    brucie Guest

    you're welcome now **** off idiot.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  14. Quoth the raven Randy:

    > Thanks for helping me.

    Really, this "newsreader"
    is capable of accepting a PageDown keypress, so your reply ends up

    down here... below the quoted text.
    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 21, 2004
  15. Randy

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:50:17 +0100, David Dorward <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Excuse me while I pop down to the patent office to register my new
    > invention. "The Tension Pad". Its like a wrist rest for a keyboard, but
    > painted red with "Tension Pad" written across it. It protects your forehead
    > when you slam it into the desk during times of tension.

    Can I pre-order one now?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au