my button died and I'm totally lost

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi-

    I had this nice little wizard application running. It was comprised of
    several Panel controls initially set w/ their visibility off except for the
    first one, then as you progress through the page, a code-behind method would
    manage the correct panel's visibility, giving the illusion of separate
    steps. Fine, great.

    All the panels has server button controls for "Next" and "Previous"
    The last panel has a button control (server of course) that would call a
    different Click event than the other buttons in the previous panels.

    I did something, I don't know what but when I click the button "Finish"....
    the event never fires, digging deeper I realized that Page_Load() isn't even
    firing. So... what it does is make the window flash, then it all goes
    white. The page never posts.

    Here is the rendered HTML for the button:
    <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" onclick="if
    (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "
    language="javascript" id="Button_Finish" />

    I think it has something to do with the button being inside a panel.

    Actually, I just found out why it's not working.... there is no
    Page_ClientValidate() function in the rendered HTML. I guess it creates it
    in the first panel that holds a button that Causes Validation, then later
    when I hide that panel, there is no script rendered. This is speculation of
    course, but if this is the case.... I would think that this would be a bug,
    wouldn't you.

    Thoughts? Suggestions??

    Anything would be cool,

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    OK, so I turned off validation. It still won't post. I've put a breakpoint
    right in Page_Load and it doesn't fire

    here is the rendered HTML for the button
    <input type="submit" name="Button_Finish" value="FINISH" id="Button_Finish"
    />

    looks fine to me?.....

    Steve, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Steve

    George Durzi Guest

    Check your On_Load event, it's generated by the IDE. Sometimes stuff gets
    deleted from there. You might have to add the delegate manually

    George Durzi, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Steve

    Ron Vecchi Guest

    Check the InitilizeComponent() function. Most likly the Page_Load event
    wiring has been removed by the designer.
    Has happened to me a few times.

    Ron Vecchi, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks for the responses guys,

    That was however the first thing that I checked, I made sure everything was
    still wired up.

    thanks though!

    Steve, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Steve

    Hermit Dave Guest

    y dont you post you code so we can have a more detailed look on it...

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I was
    posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size problem.

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally ;)

    Take it easy!

    "

    Steve, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Steve

    Ron Vecchi Guest

    I ran in to that prob before. It set me back a while also.

    Ron Vecchi, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Yeah, I imagine it could be a common proeblem. Did you find a way to
    increase the size allowed?

    "Ron Vecchi" <> wrote in message
    > I ran in to that prob before. It set me back a while also.
    >

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > > you guys aren't gonna believe what it was..... the size of the files I

    was
    > > posting was too big, so it was not a code problem, but I file size

    > problem.
    > >
    > > Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, problem solved finally ;)
    > >
    > > Take it easy!
    > >

    > > "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in

    message

    Steve, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Steve

    Ron Vecchi Guest

    Yes, web.config - maxRequestLength = "Number of KB" - my example is 30
    mb.

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="30720" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Ron Vecchi, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Steve