My first Web Service

Discussion in 'XML' started by Liza, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Liza

    Liza Guest

    Hello,

    can you guys help me out here....?

    this is part of my masters degree and hence is very important to
    me..... my supervisor doesn't seem to be too interested in helping me
    and infact is on holiday as we speak.

    ok here's my question.....

    can a web page be a client of a web service? if so....what language
    would the web page be written in? can it be a normal html page, or
    does it have to be written in xml or maybe even a server scripting
    language?

    assuming that a web page can interact with a web service......how
    would the page locate the interface of the service(assuming this had
    been direct publication of the interface) ? and how would it go
    through the interface and make sense of it in order to bind the web
    service so that it can then use it?

    thanks for all help rendered.

    Liza
    Liza, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Liza

    Dan Guest

    the question "how do i create a web service?" is a broad question.

    to answer your first question - yes...a web page can access a web serivice.
    The web service would be harbored in a web server for communication (you can
    also use ftp and smtp).

    you can create the web service using any language that can talk soap -
    ranging from C++ to perl. Once deployed to the web server - you have some
    mean of connecting to the web service (i.e. URL) For an example...using
    JSP - you would use the SOAP API to send the request to the service. I
    suggest for you to grab a book - many langs support SOAP...it's up to you
    how complex you want to make it.

    Dan, Aug 6, 2003