    pointer to cvl void.

    what does cvl mean here?

    Thanks in advance!

    Bo Yang, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Bo Yang

    kwikius Guest

    Bo Yang wrote:
    > I have read many times and have tried to
    > find for it many times in c++ starndard,
    > but I didn't find what is that mean.
    >
    > I think there is must somebody understand
    > it.
    >
    > pointer to cvl void.
    >
    > what does cvl mean here?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
    details I don't know.

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Dec 17, 2006

  3. kwikius wrote:

    > Bo Yang wrote:
    >> I have read many times and have tried to
    >> find for it many times in c++ starndard,
    >> but I didn't find what is that mean.
    >>
    >> I think there is must somebody understand
    >> it.
    >>
    >> pointer to cvl void.
    >>
    >> what does cvl mean here?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
    > details I don't know.

    I believe it may be explained somewhere in the text. Not having the exact
    context makes it difficult to provide a specific interpretation. I can
    say, however, that cv1 is probably a symbolic placeholder meaning something
    like this:

    struct CV {
    CV(bool const_, bool volatile_):_const(const_), _volatile(volatile_){}
    bool _const;
    bool _volatile;
    };
    //these are just examples of possible values
    CV cv1(true, false);
    CV cv2(true, true);

    Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
    English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
    inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
    England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
    Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
    last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
    publication of the C++ Standard. Attempts have been made to translate the
    Standard into English, but none have been fully successful.
    --
    NOUN:1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will. 2. Something handed
    down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of

    Steven T. Hatton, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Bo Yang

    Pete Becker Guest

    Bo Yang wrote:

    > pointer to cvl void.
    >
    > what does cvl mean here?

    Types can usually be modified with "const" or "volatile" or both. These
    are referred to in the standard as "cv-qualifiers," so you see things
    like "possibly cv-qualified type", meaning a type with or without const
    and volatile.

    In the more formal descriptions of type, like the one above, "cv" is
    used to refer to those possible cv-qualifiers. When there's more than
    one set of possible cv-qualifiers in a discussion, they get numbers,
    like "cv1" here. So "pointer to cv1 void" means "pointer to
    might-be-const might-be-volatile void".

    --

    -- Pete

    Pete Becker, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Bo Yang

    Bo Yang Guest

    Steven T. Hatton :
    > kwikius wrote:
    >
    >> Bo Yang wrote:
    >>> I have read many times and have tried to
    >>> find for it many times in c++ starndard,
    >>> but I didn't find what is that mean.
    >>>
    >>> I think there is must somebody understand
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> pointer to cvl void.
    >>>
    >>> what does cvl mean here?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance!

    >> something to do with some combination of const / volatile, but the
    >> details I don't know.

    > I believe it may be explained somewhere in the text. Not having the exact
    > context makes it difficult to provide a specific interpretation. I can
    > say, however, that cv1 is probably a symbolic placeholder meaning something
    > like this:
    >
    > struct CV {
    > CV(bool const_, bool volatile_):_const(const_), _volatile(volatile_){}
    > bool _const;
    > bool _volatile;
    > };
    > //these are just examples of possible values
    > CV cv1(true, false);
    > CV cv2(true, true);
    >
    > Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
    > English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
    > inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
    > England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
    > Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
    > last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
    > publication of the C++ Standard. Attempts have been made to translate the
    > Standard into English, but none have been fully successful.

    Oh, god!

    Bo Yang, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Bo Yang

    kwikius Guest

    Steven T. Hatton wrote:

    > Very few people realize that that Standard was not actually written in
    > English. There was a small island in the North Sea (now completely
    > inundated due to global warming and rising sea levels) between Denmark and
    > England. It was called Standardia, and the language the people spoke was
    > Standardese. This is the language of the Standard. Unfortunately, the
    > last person who truly understood Standardese died shortly before the
    > publication of the C++ Standard.

    I have heard a rumour, just a rumour mind that an even more mysterious
    and epic version of the ancient text has been found and is even now
    being transcribed in great secrecy somewhere in the dark reaches of
    academia.

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Dec 17, 2006