my idea to read my email from my cell phone

wbsurfver

I have an idea on how to read email from my cell phone, I want to do
this from my main email which doesn't have a mobile portal. There is a
portal for yahoo mail, but the idea is, suppose I go out to lunch for
a couple of hours, I want to check my main email to see if anyone has
sent me any important messages and if I need to hurry back to my
computer etc.

Here's sort of what I came up with:

1. first of all, the ruby version between my laptop and my host can
vary, so I don't think I can use drb.

2. Also, I don't think I want to store the password to my main email
anyplace on my hosted site.

Given that, when I go out to lunch, I would start up a process on my
laptop that reads my email using ruby net::pop
class and then opens something like a socket to my hosted site, then
it sends the emails and as long as the socket remains open, it allows
them to be access through a cell phone browser.

That would mean my emails are visible (read only) for a short time
until I shut down the socket connection.

I would also password protect the access through a simple 4 digit
password, assuming I can get sessions to work with my cell phone, if
not I could possibly figure out a scheme of generating keys and
storing them in the rendered pages or something a bit complex.

Let me know if there might be a better approach.

Justin Collins

[...]

I did something like this a while back, but without the 2nd requirement
because I just hosted it on my home computer. I think it might be
simpler if you can use IMAP, however.

What I did was use the Ruby IMAP library and coded up some rhtml pages
to use with eruby. That was about all I needed to be able to read and
delete mail from my cell phone. But then I got a new phone which had
built-in email functionality so I stopped working on it. If you would
like to take a look at it, I can send you the code in its current state.
I stored the passwords, but you could just add a form to send it from
your cell phone instead.

-Justin

wbsurfver

I did something like this a while back, but without the 2nd requirement
because I just hosted it on my home computer. I think it might be
simpler if you can use IMAP, however.

What I did was use the Ruby IMAP library and coded up some rhtml pages
to use with eruby. That was about all I needed to be able to read and
delete mail from my cell phone. But then I got a new phone which had
built-in email functionality so I stopped working on it. If you would
like to take a look at it, I can send you the code in its current state.
I stored the passwords, but you could just add a form to send it from
your cell phone instead.

-Justin

I can get yahoo email, but it seems usefull to be able to read my
regular email that most people would send me email on.
I actually just finished writing a plugin to help show wma content for
my cell phone