my idea to read my email from my cell phone

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by wbsurfver@yahoo.com, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have an idea on how to read email from my cell phone, I want to do
    this from my main email which doesn't have a mobile portal. There is a
    portal for yahoo mail, but the idea is, suppose I go out to lunch for
    a couple of hours, I want to check my main email to see if anyone has
    sent me any important messages and if I need to hurry back to my
    computer etc.

    Here's sort of what I came up with:

    1. first of all, the ruby version between my laptop and my host can
    vary, so I don't think I can use drb.

    2. Also, I don't think I want to store the password to my main email
    anyplace on my hosted site.

    Given that, when I go out to lunch, I would start up a process on my
    laptop that reads my email using ruby net::pop
    class and then opens something like a socket to my hosted site, then
    it sends the emails and as long as the socket remains open, it allows
    them to be access through a cell phone browser.

    That would mean my emails are visible (read only) for a short time
    until I shut down the socket connection.

    I would also password protect the access through a simple 4 digit
    password, assuming I can get sessions to work with my cell phone, if
    not I could possibly figure out a scheme of generating keys and
    storing them in the rendered pages or something a bit complex.

    Let me know if there might be a better approach.

    , Jun 22, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > I have an idea on how to read email from my cell phone, I want to do
    > this from my main email which doesn't have a mobile portal. There is a
    > portal for yahoo mail, but the idea is, suppose I go out to lunch for
    > a couple of hours, I want to check my main email to see if anyone has
    > sent me any important messages and if I need to hurry back to my
    > computer etc.
    >
    > Here's sort of what I came up with:
    >
    > 1. first of all, the ruby version between my laptop and my host can
    > vary, so I don't think I can use drb.
    >
    > 2. Also, I don't think I want to store the password to my main email
    > anyplace on my hosted site.
    >

    > Given that, when I go out to lunch, I would start up a process on my
    > laptop that reads my email using ruby net::pop
    > class and then opens something like a socket to my hosted site, then
    > it sends the emails and as long as the socket remains open, it allows
    > them to be access through a cell phone browser.
    >
    > That would mean my emails are visible (read only) for a short time
    > until I shut down the socket connection.
    >
    > I would also password protect the access through a simple 4 digit
    > password, assuming I can get sessions to work with my cell phone, if
    > not I could possibly figure out a scheme of generating keys and
    > storing them in the rendered pages or something a bit complex.
    >
    > Let me know if there might be a better approach.

    I did something like this a while back, but without the 2nd requirement
    because I just hosted it on my home computer. I think it might be
    simpler if you can use IMAP, however.

    What I did was use the Ruby IMAP library and coded up some rhtml pages
    to use with eruby. That was about all I needed to be able to read and
    delete mail from my cell phone. But then I got a new phone which had
    built-in email functionality so I stopped working on it. If you would
    like to take a look at it, I can send you the code in its current state.
    I stored the passwords, but you could just add a form to send it from
    your cell phone instead.

    -Justin

    Justin Collins, Jun 22, 2008

    On Jun 22, 3:41 pm, Justin Collins <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have an idea on how to read email from my cell phone, I want to do
    > > this from my main email which doesn't have a mobile portal. There is a
    > > portal for yahoo mail, but the idea is, suppose I go out to lunch for
    > > a couple of hours, I want to check my main email to see if anyone has
    > > sent me any important messages and if I need to hurry back to my
    > > computer etc.

    > > Here's sort of what I came up with:

    > > 1. first of all, the ruby version between my laptop and my host can
    > > vary, so I don't think I can use drb.

    > > 2. Also, I don't think I want to store the password to my main email
    > > anyplace on my hosted site.

    > > Given that, when I go out to lunch, I would start up a process on my
    > > laptop that reads my email using ruby net::pop
    > > class and then opens something like a socket to my hosted site, then
    > > it sends the emails and as long as the socket remains open, it allows
    > > them to be access through a cell phone browser.

    > > That would mean my emails are visible (read only) for a short time
    > > until I shut down the socket connection.

    > > I would also password protect the access through a simple 4 digit
    > > password, assuming I can get sessions to work with my cell phone, if
    > > not I could possibly figure out a scheme of generating keys and
    > > storing them in the rendered pages or something a bit complex.

    > > Let me know if there might be a better approach.

    > I did something like this a while back, but without the 2nd requirement
    > because I just hosted it on my home computer. I think it might be
    > simpler if you can use IMAP, however.
    >
    > What I did was use the Ruby IMAP library and coded up some rhtml pages
    > to use with eruby. That was about all I needed to be able to read and
    > delete mail from my cell phone. But then I got a new phone which had
    > built-in email functionality so I stopped working on it. If you would
    > like to take a look at it, I can send you the code in its current state.
    > I stored the passwords, but you could just add a form to send it from
    > your cell phone instead.
    >
    > -Justin

    I can get yahoo email, but it seems usefull to be able to read my
    regular email that most people would send me email on.
    I actually just finished writing a plugin to help show wma content for
    my cell phone

    , Jun 23, 2008