    I was under imresiion that code cannot crash the app pool.

    Any direction is deeply appreciated
    Nalaka

    Nalaka, Feb 7, 2007

  2. RE: my ISP said that my asp.net 2.0 app causes their application pool

    If they are running both 1.1 and 2.0 apps in the same app pool, IIS either
    stops the site or hangs (depending on how they configure their apps; in
    either case its bad).
    2.0 needs a seperate app pool (not per 2.0 app, just one for 1.1 and one for
    2.0)

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya0F1cml0?=, Feb 7, 2007

  3. An unhandled application exception could crash an app pool, as could a
    deadlock, as could a process consuming excessive memory or a threaded app
    not written well, making network calls, access violations, infinite loops.
    To be truthful theres a million reasons why an app pool might hang up.

    Any app pool crash through would see the app pool recycle and restart
    itself - its not the end of the world in a laod balanced farm but on shared
    hosting could be rather problematic if the ISP have too many web apps
    sharing the same app pool. Ask your ISP to dedicate an app pool to you
    until you get it sorted out, then only you suffer if it crashes and look at
    using some sort of memory profiling tool, or test tool like nunit to find
    out what the problem is.

    Worth having aread of this
    http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/ar...Understand_and_Diagnose_an_AppPool_Crash.aspx

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Feb 7, 2007
  4. RE: my ISP said that my asp.net 2.0 app causes their application pool

    Hello Nalaka,

    For IIS6 with application pool setting. IIS applications(include ASP.NET)
    which use the same application pool will be hosted in the same IIS worker
    process(w3wp.exe). So if you want to confirm whether it is your application
    that crash the application pool(worker process), you can ask your ISP to
    host your application in a separate application pool(stand alone) to see
    whether the app pool(worker process) will crash.

    Also, as John has mentioned, unhandled exception(.net 2.0) will cause
    process crash. And application pool has certain health monitring setting
    that will control the recycle of worker process(when exceed the limitation)

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 8, 2007