    this has something to do with the problem.

    cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Coast, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Nathan Coast

    . Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Nathan Coast wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running win xp sp2, AFAICT every OS language option is set to
    > English (GB). However, whenever I execute the java console, or the
    > java update or an applet, the text appears in an asian font (I'm not
    > fluent enough to know which one it is). When using other java tools
    > (java, javac, jar) all output is in english.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how I configure Java to think in English. I have
    > tried uninstalling and re-installing jdk 1.5.0_02 but no difference.
    >
    > I bought the laptop a couple of years ago in Hong Kong and I'm guessing
    > this has something to do with the problem.

    You are probably right. There is something in the computer telling Java
    that you are using Chinese. Try going into the Control Panel and checking
    the Regional Options. If you are using the classic view it should be easy
    to find. If you are using the default 'user friendly' XP configuration
    then you'll have to hunt for it.

    In the Regional Options you should be able to set your locale. Java will
    use the defaults for your computer unless explicitly told to use something
    different.

    If might want to do research in Internationalization and the Locale class.

    ., Apr 28, 2005