my java thinks in chinese

Nathan Coast

Hi,

I'm running win xp sp2, AFAICT every OS language option is set to
English (GB). However, whenever I execute the java console, or the
java update or an applet, the text appears in an asian font (I'm not
fluent enough to know which one it is). When using other java tools
(java, javac, jar) all output is in english.

Can someone tell me how I configure Java to think in English. I have
tried uninstalling and re-installing jdk 1.5.0_02 but no difference.

I bought the laptop a couple of years ago in Hong Kong and I'm guessing
this has something to do with the problem.

cheers
Nathan

?

.

Hi,

I'm running win xp sp2, AFAICT every OS language option is set to
English (GB). However, whenever I execute the java console, or the
java update or an applet, the text appears in an asian font (I'm not
fluent enough to know which one it is). When using other java tools
(java, javac, jar) all output is in english.

Can someone tell me how I configure Java to think in English. I have
tried uninstalling and re-installing jdk 1.5.0_02 but no difference.

I bought the laptop a couple of years ago in Hong Kong and I'm guessing
this has something to do with the problem.

You are probably right. There is something in the computer telling Java
that you are using Chinese. Try going into the Control Panel and checking
the Regional Options. If you are using the classic view it should be easy
to find. If you are using the default 'user friendly' XP configuration
then you'll have to hunt for it.

In the Regional Options you should be able to set your locale. Java will
use the defaults for your computer unless explicitly told to use something
different.

If might want to do research in Internationalization and the Locale class.