    I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news that
    somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my toy.

    thanks.
    Jack.Chu, Jan 5, 2009

  2. Jack.Chu

    Ant Guest

    On Jan 5, 9:47 am, "Jack.Chu" <> wrote:
    > Hello guys:
    > I created a simple tool to count how I wasted my time day by day ;-)http://www.flickr.com/photos/34017270@N07/3169438647/sizes/o/

    Looks interesting - did you have some sort of time machine to be
    spending that much time in Chrome at the end of 2007? ;-)

    > I just want to get suggestions to improve it, ...

    It's a bit hard to tell just from the screenshot... Do you have some
    code we could look at? Would be perhaps good to sub-log each window's
    title so that you could subdivide, for example, Firefox's time by the
    pages you were looking at (this would work quite well for numerous
    apps.)
    Ant, Jan 5, 2009

  3. Jack.Chu

    Guest

    Jack> It's simple, a small program running on background, logging the
    Jack> title of foreground window. A python script parses the log file
    Jack> and then generates chart by matplotlib.

    Jack> I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news
    Jack> that somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my
    Jack> toy.

    For starters, you might figure out how to make it work on a real operating
    system which allows multiple active processes.

    Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more. Say no more. ;-)

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/
    , Jan 5, 2009
  4. Jack.Chu

    News123 Guest

    wrote:
    > Jack> It's simple, a small program running on background, logging the
    > Jack> title of foreground window. A python script parses the log file
    > Jack> and then generates chart by matplotlib.
    >
    > Jack> I just want to get suggestions to improve it, or know the news
    > Jack> that somebody had implemented a better one so I can abandon my
    > Jack> toy.
    >
    > For starters, you might figure out how to make it work on a real operating
    > system which allows multiple active processes.

    Well the computer can do things in paralell. Most human beings, and
    according to stereotypes especially male human beings are only single
    tasking, (like the mouse focus).
    So if you want to find out what a user is busy with I guess, that the
    title of the window in focus is probaly a very reasonable indicator.

    Of course if you want to find out what the computer is busy with, then
    you should make statistics of the processes and heir cpu loads.

    bye

    News123, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Jack.Chu

    Jack.Chu Guest

    Actually I want to put the funny statistic on web. It means create a
    simple website and show informations such as that picture.

    But the hard job is I don't know how to collect the log info from
    client. If I have to install something I don't think people would dare
    to install it - it is too dangerous to use, and without big benefit.
    Jack.Chu, Jan 6, 2009