My n00bie brain hurts after "Python setup.py install".

Discussion in 'Python' started by bsagert@gmail.com, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I downloaded Mark Pilgrims's feedparser.py in a zipfile to my Windows
    machine, unzipped it and tried to install it to no avail.

    Here is the result =>

    C:\>python c:\scripts\feedparser-4.1\setup.py install
    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    file feedparser.py (for module feedparser) not found
    running install_lib
    warning: install_lib: 'build\lib' does not exist -- no Python modules
    to install
    running install_egg_info
    Writing C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\feedparser-4.1-py2.5.egg-info

    WTF? The file feedparser.py did exist in the same place as setup.py.
    Even if it works, what exactly does this setup.py do for me? If I just
    manually place feedparser.py in my Python site-packages file it works
    fine. As for that egg-info file, I googled "python eggs" and now I am
    really confused.

    , Jun 22, 2008

  2. John Machin Guest

    On Jun 22, 9:05 am, wrote:
    > I downloaded Mark Pilgrims's feedparser.py in a zipfile to my Windows
    > machine, unzipped it and tried to install it to no avail.
    >
    > Here is the result =>
    >
    > C:\>python c:\scripts\feedparser-4.1\setup.py install

    The convention is to run setup.py from the current directory, unless
    instructed otherwise; what did the package's readme say? Try:

    cd \scripts\feedparser-4.1
    python setup.py install

    > running install
    > running build
    > running build_py
    > file feedparser.py (for module feedparser) not found
    > running install_lib
    > warning: install_lib: 'build\lib' does not exist -- no Python modules
    > to install
    > running install_egg_info
    > Writing C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\feedparser-4.1-py2.5.egg-info
    >
    > WTF? The file feedparser.py did exist in the same place as setup.py.
    > Even if it works, what exactly does this setup.py do for me? If I just
    > manually place feedparser.py in my Python site-packages file it works
    > fine.

    In general, a setup.py install may do lots of things besides coping 1
    file. Manually placing files in site-packages is not a good habit to
    get into.

    > As for that egg-info file, I googled "python eggs" and now I am
    > really confused.

    Eggs are part of a new experimental package distribution scheme. Don't
    worry about it.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Jun 22, 2008

  3. John Nagle Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > On Jun 22, 9:05 am, wrote:
    >> I downloaded Mark Pilgrims's feedparser.py in a zipfile to my Windows
    >> machine, unzipped it and tried to install it to no avail.

    > Eggs are part of a new experimental package distribution scheme. Don't
    > worry about it.

    Yes. "Eggs" are connected to an "easy install" system which has
    an annoying tendency to either fail or silently do the wrong thing.
    They were an attempt to apply the "packaging" mania of Java to Python.
    Fortunately, ".egg" files are actually ".zip" files, so you can
    rename them, unpack them, and get at the good parts.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Jun 22, 2008