my new layout, comments, suggestions, criticisms

Nik Coughlin

Hi,

I am toying with a new layout. The links do nothing, this is just a one
page concept.

http://nrkn.com/test/

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticisms, ideas etc.
that you might have.

Thanks!

Leonard Blaisdell

Nik Coughlin said:
I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticisms, ideas etc.
that you might have.

I don't think dates are very descriptive. Perhaps location, description
or activity would serve the links better. I'm assuming that 'Art, 'Photo
Edits'... link to a gallery instead of individual photos. I certainly
can't think of anything better than you have for the section you really
want ideas on.

leo

Toby Inkster

Nik said:

I'm not sure that the background works. Textured is good, but I'm not sure
about that particular pattern. Maybe also add a little tiny bit of alpha
transparency to your metallic blobby bits so that the background texture
shows through just the tiniest bit -- this will only work in decent
browsers of course, but there are workarounds for IE.

Nik Coughlin

Toby said:
I'm not sure that the background works. Textured is good, but I'm not
sure about that particular pattern. Maybe also add a little tiny bit
of alpha transparency to your metallic blobby bits so that the
background texture shows through just the tiniest bit -- this will
only work in decent browsers of course, but there are workarounds for
IE.

Hi Toby,

They're a little transparent anyway, the contrast of the background is too
low for it too be noticeable on most screens, but I could definitely up it a
bit, that's a good idea, cheers. Only problem I've found with the alpha
hack is that it renders links in an alpha'ed element unclickable; Dean
Edwards says:

To achieve these visual effects Explorer creates a supra layer on the
browser window. Now this is all guess-work of course but a noticeable affect
is, that if an element has a PNG background, then none of its child elements
will receive mouse events. Killing "hovers" and the like.

From http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/notes/#PNG

It's a real shit because rounded corner type stuff using css relies on
nesting elements, so if any of the parent elements use the hack none of
their children can contain a link. Solution? Use tables :( I actually
have a site which has both css for rounded corners and some alpha effects,
in the end I gave up and served IE a table layout and all the other browsers
the semantic version. All I can say is I hope the uptake of IE 7 is good.

I liked the form language thingy you posted a little while back, by the way.
Must have a proper play with it some time.

Nik Coughlin

Leonard said:
I don't think dates are very descriptive. Perhaps location,
description or activity would serve the links better. I'm assuming
that 'Art, 'Photo Edits'... link to a gallery instead of individual
photos. I certainly can't think of anything better than you have for
the section you really want ideas on.

leo

Thanks, the whole thing is getting a workover, that treatment is just
applying the new layout to one of the existing pages. Will keep that in
mind.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Nik Coughlin quothed:
Hi,

I am toying with a new layout. The links do nothing, this is just a one
page concept.

http://nrkn.com/test/

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, criticisms, ideas etc.
that you might have.

I like it, find it aesthetically pleasing and serene. One thing I might
change (ie. personal taste) is to reduce the height of the header a bit
and make the "nrkn" less obtrusive. If you pursue this layout, you
should also indicate differences between links to sub-pages and images
only.

Nik Coughlin

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Nik Coughlin quothed:

I like it, find it aesthetically pleasing and serene. One thing I
might change (ie. personal taste) is to reduce the height of the
header a bit and make the "nrkn" less obtrusive. If you pursue this
layout, you should also indicate differences between links to
sub-pages and images only.

Do you mean, for example, use maybe a folder image with a thumbnail on it
for those that go to a sub-page? That's a great idea

Toby Inkster

Nik said:
It's a real shit because rounded corner type stuff using css relies on
nesting elements, [...] Solution? Use tables

Perhaps it could be done with absolutely positioned corner images within
a relatively positioned dummy element, and a bit of z-index magic.

Nik Coughlin

Toby said:
Nik said:
It's a real shit because rounded corner type stuff using css relies
on nesting elements, [...] Solution? Use tables

Perhaps it could be done with absolutely positioned corner images
within a relatively positioned dummy element, and a bit of z-index
magic.

I think I will have to have a go at that tommorrow, cheers Toby.

Travis Newbury

Nik said:
I am toying with a new layout. The links do nothing, this is just a one
page concept.
http://nrkn.com/test/

You know I have never liked trying to color things with CSS (or HTML
for that matter) rather than using images. It always make the page
look like ansi graphics to me.

ymmv

Nik Coughlin

Travis said:
You know I have never liked trying to color things with CSS (or HTML
for that matter) rather than using images. It always make the page
look like ansi graphics to me.

ymmv

I like ansi graphics!