    I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available online.
    I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
    design. The url is www.freewebs.com/softek.

    Blindsya, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Blindsya pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available online.
    > I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
    > design. The url is www.freewebs.com/softek.

    Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.
    Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible.

    Otherwise, it's a very plain and simple layout.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Blindsya

    Blindsya Guest

    >Blindsya wrote
    >"I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available online.

    I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
    design. The url >is www.freewebs.com/softek."

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote
    >"Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.

    Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible. Otherwise, it's a very
    plain and simple layout."

    I am confused! My links are supposed to be black on blue. I was thinking
    of changing these links to phraphs white. Very plain and simple was the
    plan, do you count that as a good thing?

    Blindsya, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Blindsya pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    http://www.freewebs.com/softek

    Be sure to use the full URL instead of just www. ...

    > >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote
    > >"Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.

    > Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible. Otherwise, it's a very
    > plain and simple layout."
    >
    > I am confused! My links are supposed to be black on blue. I was thinking
    > of changing these links to phraphs white. Very plain and simple was the
    > plan, do you count that as a good thing?

    Ah. I was using Firebird, which ignores your errors in the style sheet.

    ..link {
    text-decoration:none;
    color:"black";
    font-size:"18";
    line-height:"30px";
    }

    You should not use quotes in a css style sheet. Firebird/Mozilla/Opera are
    ignoring your styling and displaying in default blue for unvisited and
    purple for visited.

    Next, you should change any font-size: 18 to font-size: 100% so IE users
    can adjust to suit their eyesight. 18 by itself is also wrong; you need a
    unit, such as px or something.

    Removing the underline hides the fact they are links, perhaps confusing
    some users.

    Regarding:
    height: 100px">

    You don't want to define pixel sized content areas. Think "fluid." Let it
    flow no matter what my browser window size is. Remember too, that screen
    resolution is irrelevant.

    You need to test with several different browsers.

    Yes, I feel that simple is better <g>. BTW, if you are going to be
    advertising web services, you want to be very sure you know how to design
    valid pages.

    2Fsoftek%2F>

    You need a doctype (to keep browsers out of quirks mode - especially IE)
    and you need a character encoding, either from the server or a meta
    element.

    Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy <g>. Have a look at the
    style sheet and layout of this fairly plain and simple site of mine.
    http://www.freezeblock.com/
    You'll notice in its stylesheet I was playing with and changing some link
    colors there at the request of the client...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Blindsya

    Blindsya Guest

    > Blindsya pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > > >Blindsya wrote
    > > >"I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available

    online.
    > > I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
    > > design. The url >is www.freewebs.com/softek

    > http://www.freewebs.com/softek
    >
    > Be sure to use the full URL instead of just www. ...
    >
    > > >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote
    > > >"Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.

    > > Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible. Otherwise, it's a very
    > > plain and simple layout."
    > >
    > > I am confused! My links are supposed to be black on blue. I was

    thinking
    > > of changing these links to phraphs white. Very plain and simple was the
    > > plan, do you count that as a good thing?

    > Ah. I was using Firebird, which ignores your errors in the style sheet.
    >
    > .link {
    > text-decoration:none;
    > color:"black";
    > font-size:"18";
    > line-height:"30px";
    > }
    >
    > You should not use quotes in a css style sheet. Firebird/Mozilla/Opera are
    > ignoring your styling and displaying in default blue for unvisited and
    > purple for visited.
    >
    > Next, you should change any font-size: 18 to font-size: 100% so IE users
    > can adjust to suit their eyesight. 18 by itself is also wrong; you need a
    > unit, such as px or something.
    >
    > Removing the underline hides the fact they are links, perhaps confusing
    > some users.
    >
    > Regarding:
    > height: 100px">
    >
    > You don't want to define pixel sized content areas. Think "fluid." Let it
    > flow no matter what my browser window size is. Remember too, that screen
    > resolution is irrelevant.
    >
    > You need to test with several different browsers.
    >
    > Yes, I feel that simple is better <g>. BTW, if you are going to be
    > advertising web services, you want to be very sure you know how to design
    > valid pages.

    > 2Fsoftek%2F>
    >
    > You need a doctype (to keep browsers out of quirks mode - especially IE)
    > and you need a character encoding, either from the server or a meta
    > element.
    >
    > Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy <g>. Have a look at the
    > style sheet and layout of this fairly plain and simple site of mine.
    > http://www.freezeblock.com/
    > You'll notice in its stylesheet I was playing with and changing some link
    > colors there at the request of the client...
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -This space intentionally left blank.

    I have edited the style sheet accordingly. As I said it was only a very
    rough template and wont even be obtainable through that url because it will
    have a paid for domain name. I realise it is not a valid site so there is
    no need to worry. I just havn't got round to doing all that stuff yet - I
    mean the links don't even work yet!

    Blindsya, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Blindsya

    Disco Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Links:
    >
    > "Home"
    > "What We"
    > "Do"
    > "Portfolio"
    > "Site"
    > "Design"

    That is interesting. I am getting something quite different. Something like
    this...

    "Home"
    "What We Do"
    "Portfolio"
    "Site Design"
    "Site Graphics"
    "Updating"
    "Other Services"
    Quotation"
    "Form Contact"
    "Us"

    Notice the bottom three mnu items.

    Disco, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Disco pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >
    > > Links:

    <snip>

    > That is interesting. I am getting something quite different. Something like
    > this...
    >
    > "Home"
    > "What We Do"
    > "Portfolio"
    > "Site Design"
    > "Site Graphics"
    > "Updating"
    > "Other Services"
    > Quotation"
    > "Form Contact"
    > "Us"
    >
    > Notice the bottom three mnu items.

    ...due to a missing <br> after
    <a class="link" href="quotation.html">Quotation Form</a>

    The left column is not wide enough, as I (perhaps not so clearly) tried to
    point out in my last post.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 22, 2003
  8. Blindsya

    Blindsya Guest

    > Disco pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Links:

    > <snip>
    >
    > > That is interesting. I am getting something quite different. Something

    like
    > > this...
    > >
    > > "Home"
    > > "What We Do"
    > > "Portfolio"
    > > "Site Design"
    > > "Site Graphics"
    > > "Updating"
    > > "Other Services"
    > > Quotation"
    > > "Form Contact"
    > > "Us"
    > >
    > > Notice the bottom three mnu items.

    > ..due to a missing <br> after
    > <a class="link" href="quotation.html">Quotation Form</a>
    >
    > The left column is not wide enough, as I (perhaps not so clearly) tried to
    > point out in my last post.
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -This space intentionally left blank.

    Do not fear all I have fixed the site (not yet uploaded the new version
    though), I have changed the font size to 1 em and made it bold, much more
    user friendly and almost has the same effect. As for changing the whole
    page layout from using pixels to using percentage I disagree. I got
    completely blazed last time I used percentage to set the width of items on
    my site. Also I wanted that effect where the last things on the page don't
    touch the right margin. Thanks for all the help

    Blindsya, Jul 22, 2003
  9. UI Flaws:

    (1) black text on blue background reduces visibility

    Structural Flaws:

    (1) Document Type Declaration needed.
    (2) use tags for their meaning and not style (eg. avoid using <br> and <b>)

    WD

    ---

    Web Developer, Jul 22, 2003
  10. Blindsya

    Brian Guest

    Blindsya wrote:

    >> The left column is not wide enough

    > I have changed the font size to 1 em and made it bold, much more
    > user friendly and almost has the same effect.

    Good choice.

    > As for changing the whole page layout from using pixels to using
    > percentage I disagree. I got completely blazed last time I used
    > percentage to set the width of items on my site.

    That can be problematic with large percentages in small windows. So
    set it in ems instead. As an example:

    ..menu { width: 10em; } /* or whatever works */

    Then, it scales with the font-size, and with a little testing, should
    hold the menu items without wrapping.

    > Also I wanted that effect where the last things on the page don't
    > touch the right margin.

    A page margin in px doesn't cause any problems that I can imagine.

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me

    Brian, Jul 22, 2003