My new site

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Blindsya pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available online.
I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
design. The url is www.freewebs.com/softek.

Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.
Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible.

Otherwise, it's a very plain and simple layout.

Blindsya

Blindsya wrote
"I have uploaded a rough template of my site so it is now available online.
I would be interested to hear your opinions on it and comments on the
design. The url >is www.freewebs.com/softek."
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote
"Once I turned off using author colors in Firebird, I found your links.
Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible. Otherwise, it's a very
plain and simple layout."

I am confused! My links are supposed to be black on blue. I was thinking
of changing these links to phraphs white. Very plain and simple was the
plan, do you count that as a good thing?

http://www.freewebs.com/softek

Be sure to use the full URL instead of just www. ...
Your blue on blue links are virtually invisible. Otherwise, it's a very
plain and simple layout."

I am confused! My links are supposed to be black on blue. I was thinking
of changing these links to phraphs white. Very plain and simple was the
plan, do you count that as a good thing?

Ah. I was using Firebird, which ignores your errors in the style sheet.

..link {
text-decoration:none;
color:"black";
font-size:"18";
line-height:"30px";
}

You should not use quotes in a css style sheet. Firebird/Mozilla/Opera are
ignoring your styling and displaying in default blue for unvisited and
purple for visited.

Next, you should change any font-size: 18 to font-size: 100% so IE users
can adjust to suit their eyesight. 18 by itself is also wrong; you need a
unit, such as px or something.

Removing the underline hides the fact they are links, perhaps confusing
some users.

Regarding:
height: 100px">

You don't want to define pixel sized content areas. Think "fluid." Let it
flow no matter what my browser window size is. Remember too, that screen
resolution is irrelevant.

You need to test with several different browsers.

Yes, I feel that simple is better <g>. BTW, if you are going to be
advertising web services, you want to be very sure you know how to design
valid pages.

2Fsoftek%2F>

You need a doctype (to keep browsers out of quirks mode - especially IE)
and you need a character encoding, either from the server or a meta
element.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy <g>. Have a look at the
style sheet and layout of this fairly plain and simple site of mine.
http://www.freezeblock.com/
You'll notice in its stylesheet I was playing with and changing some link
colors there at the request of the client...

Blindsya

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
[...]

I have edited the style sheet accordingly. As I said it was only a very
rough template and wont even be obtainable through that url because it will
have a paid for domain name. I realise it is not a valid site so there is
no need to worry. I just havn't got round to doing all that stuff yet - I
mean the links don't even work yet!

Disco

Beauregard said:
Links:

"Home"
"What We"
"Do"
"Portfolio"
"Site"
"Design"
That is interesting. I am getting something quite different. Something like
this...

"Home"
"What We Do"
"Portfolio"
"Site Design"
"Site Graphics"
"Updating"
"Other Services"
Quotation"
"Form Contact"
"Us"

Notice the bottom three mnu items.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Disco pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
That is interesting. I am getting something quite different. Something like
this...

"Home"
"What We Do"
"Portfolio"
"Site Design"
"Site Graphics"
"Updating"
"Other Services"
Quotation"
"Form Contact"
"Us"

Notice the bottom three mnu items.

...due to a missing <br> after
<a class="link" href="quotation.html">Quotation Form</a>

The left column is not wide enough, as I (perhaps not so clearly) tried to
point out in my last post.

Blindsya

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Disco pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

..due to a missing <br> after
<a class="link" href="quotation.html">Quotation Form</a>

The left column is not wide enough, as I (perhaps not so clearly) tried to
point out in my last post.

Do not fear all I have fixed the site (not yet uploaded the new version
though), I have changed the font size to 1 em and made it bold, much more
user friendly and almost has the same effect. As for changing the whole
page layout from using pixels to using percentage I disagree. I got
completely blazed last time I used percentage to set the width of items on
my site. Also I wanted that effect where the last things on the page don't
touch the right margin. Thanks for all the help

Web Developer

UI Flaws:

(1) black text on blue background reduces visibility

Structural Flaws:

(1) Document Type Declaration needed.
(2) use tags for their meaning and not style (eg. avoid using <br> and <b>)

WD

Brian

Blindsya said:
I have changed the font size to 1 em and made it bold, much more
user friendly and almost has the same effect.

Good choice.
As for changing the whole page layout from using pixels to using
percentage I disagree. I got completely blazed last time I used
percentage to set the width of items on my site.

That can be problematic with large percentages in small windows. So
set it in ems instead. As an example:

..menu { width: 10em; } /* or whatever works */

Then, it scales with the font-size, and with a little testing, should
hold the menu items without wrapping.
Also I wanted that effect where the last things on the page don't
touch the right margin.

A page margin in px doesn't cause any problems that I can imagine.