My option when a module is not available for my production OS.

Discussion in 'Perl' started by chung.ley@amd.com, Mar 28, 2005.

    I wanted to use the modules GDGraph-boxplot and GDGraph-XY to generate
    boxplot and scatterplots. I am using my PC (windows2000) as a
    development machine, but the production box is Linux. It seems that
    these modules are not available in Linux.

    What are my options? I am new to the perl world, but I have a perl
    project that I must complete by May... Because of the time crunch, I
    have only did some minimal reseach on this (and I will continue to do
    so), but I thought I might get some quick help from newsgroup also.

    My assumptions of my options are:
    1. Run the job in an NT box that will output the files on the Linux box
    which is where my "Web" code is going to be. (by the way, we don't
    have NT production box in my group).
    2. Use GDGraph which is available in both Linux and Windows and use
    that for the generation of graph instead of GDGraph-XY and
    GDGraph-boxplot.
    3. Trying to locate (don't know how) if someone somewhere had a "linux"
    version for these 2 modules.
    4. "Port" the modules to Linux (okay, I am green at this, so I have no
    idea on how much work this is and how to accomplish it)...

    I am hoping that I can hear your "advices" and "pointers" as which one
    of these (or other) approach that I should take...

    Thanks a million.

    --Chung
    , Mar 28, 2005

  2. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to use the modules GDGraph-boxplot and GDGraph-XY to generate
    > boxplot and scatterplots. I am using my PC (windows2000) as a
    > development machine, but the production box is Linux. It seems that
    > these modules are not available in Linux.

    You mean you can't find rpms (or something like it) for it?

    Go to CPAN, download the source (e.g. http://search.cpan.org/
    ~gaffer/GDGraph-boxplot-1.00/ and click on download), and make it:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test
    make install

    (from the top of my head)

    John Bokma, Mar 28, 2005

    Thanks John....

    I am sorry, I missed that... I don't know where I was in the
    internet... I was looking for GDGraph-boxplot and the description only
    mentioned windows for this...

    Thanks a lot....

    --Chung
    , Mar 29, 2005