my own webserver for rails dev ?

surfunbear

I am considering investigating running my own webserver through a
cable modem at my condo in order
to start my own web development company for ruby on rails programming.
That way I could host sites on my machine for free, once those sites
started getting some traffic, then I'd move them to a real server. I
could host various sites to show potential clients and so on. I'd
probably go out and buy a desk top PC for around $350 or a little more.
I figure I need as much disk space as I can get for cheap as all I have
is a laptop
and an old machine that runs very poorly. If the server was not allways
up, it would not be a big deal, it would mainly be for development and
hosting sites that are not high volume etc.
I would try to leave it turned on alot. Could power outages damage the
machine ?
Sometimes I may be away from home for several days. If the machine
crashes or there is a power outage, it will have to wait until I get
home, or else I would shut it off when I am away for several days.

Having my own server would make the development easier without having
to upload stuff to a remote server and make it easier to do work for
people and have a place on the web without them going out and buying
service at a site before I did anything. This would also be
educational, however I am more interested in programming than in admin
type work.

What is a good book that would help me out, particularly in the area of
security on how to build a secure web server ?

Would I be alot better off with linux, and if so why ?

I guess appache is the best, what about the webrick server that comes
with
ruby/rails is that a serious server ?

If too much traffic is a problem with my ISP, I may have to build a
way into the system to limit traffic perhaps.

Senthilnayagam

Hi,

you would need to offer

apache or lighttpd
Mysql/postgres
Ruby on rails, using FCGI/SCGI or Mongrel
shell and FTP access
SVN based version control
mail server,

and lots of bandwidth if you host multiple sites.

you would also need to offer technical support, also keep your
installation upto date and apply security patches.

so hosting from home is not a easy proportion.

instead you can take dedicated server or VPS hosting and provision and
resell it to your clients

I have just started offering hosting services for my clients

http://senthilnayagam.com/home/show...hnical-Support-by-Experienced-Rails-Developer

regards
A.Senthil Nayagam