My question is this...

David

I think I am coming to grips with XML/XSL and its benifits but there
is still one thing that I am puzzled by and was hoping someone may be
able to help me with.
Using XML to store the contents of your work then transforming it into
a nice all be it basic appearance with XSL seems like a good idea. But
how would you ever go about more complex display options such as a
navagation bar for you web site, or even pictures.
These are all things done quite easily in HTML but I dont see how it
can be done in XML.
I assume they can, so if any one could confirm this for me or even
better tell me how I very much appreciate it!

Andy Fish

XML is a way to store and manipulate information, it's not a display format.

when the time comes to display your XML you will need to render it into some
kind of display format, typically HTML.

XSL is a mechanism for turning a piece of XML into another piece of XML.

Since HTML (or more correctly XHTML) is a subset of generic XML, one of the
uses of XSL is to turn your XML into an HTML web page for display.

Andy